This page shows you the list charts. By default, the movies are ordered by how many times they have been marked as a favorite. However, you can also sort by other information, such as the total number of times it has been marked as a dislike.
In 2015, the Museum of Cinematography in Łódź asked 279 film professionals to vote for the best Polish films of all time. The top 65 films are ranked, all with 12 votes or more. The next 40 films are unranked, with 6-11 votes. The ballots are available on the [url=http://kinomuzeum.pl/?p=15020]Museum's website[/url].
This list is compiled out of the two “official” Russian lists found on ICheckMovies (“Russian Guild Of Film Critics - Best Russian Films” and “Livejournal Russian top 100”.
The movies on this list are movies that appear on at least one of the two lists, in addition to appearing on at least one other official top list.
Only movies released between 1922 and 1991 is counted.
A work-in-progress list of acclaimed and personal favorite Greek films, with or without English subtitles, either feature or short films of any genre and sub-genre. I decided to update this only with films I've watched, a top 100 to begin with and a possible top 250. Shorts and documentaries will be excluded but will be alligned here in the info section, down below.
The top 10 Greek films according to the Greek Film Critics Association or Pan-Hellenic Film Critics Association:
1. O Drakos / The Ogre of Athens Nikos Koundouros
2. Evdokia Ευδοκία Alexis Damianos
– The Travelling Players Ο θίασος Theodoros Angelopoulos
4. Stella Στέλλα Michalis Kakoyannis
5. The Counterfeit Coin Η κάλπικη λίρα Yiorgos Tzavellas
6. Reconstruction Αναπαράσταση Theodoros Angelopoulos
– Rembetiko Ρεμπέτικο Costas Ferris
– The Photograph / Η φωτογραφία Nikos Papatakis
9. Karkalou / Καρκαλού by Stavros Tornes
10. Sweet Gang Γλυκιά Συμμορία Nikos Nikolaidis
– The four seasons of the law Η εαρινή σύναξις των αγροφυλάκων Dimos Avdeliodis
1. Evdokia / Ευδοκία by Alexis Damianos
2. O Drakos Ο Δράκος Nikos Koundouros
3. Reconstruction Αναπαράσταση Theodoros Angelopoulos
4. The Travelling Players Ο θίασος Theodoros Angelopoulos
5. The Counterfeit Coin / Η κάλπικη λίρα by Yiorgos Tzavellas
– Ta Chromata tis iridos / Τα Χρώματα της Ίριδος Nikos Panagiotopoulos
7. Karkalou Καρκαλού Stavros Tornes
– To proxenio tis Annas Το Προξενιό της Άννας Pantelis Voulgaris
9. Balamos Μπαλαμός Stavros Tornes
– Stella (Mihalis Kakogiannis)
Thessaloniki Film Festival online, public voting for the Centennial of Greek Cinema out of 200 films selected by film critics
1. Kinoniki Sapila / Social Corruption (Stelios Tatasopoulos, 1932)
2. Istoria mias Kalpikis Liras / The Counterfeit Coin Yorgos Tzavellas 1955
3. Stella (Mihalis Kakogiannis, 1955)
4. O Drakos / The Ogre of Athens (Nikos Koundouros 1956)
5. Synikia to Oniro / A Neighborhood Named “The Dream” (Alekos Alexandrakis, 1961)
6. Evdokia Alexis Damianos 1971
7. O Thiassos / The Travelling Players Theo Angelopoulos 1975
8. I Tembelides tis Eforis Kiladas / The Idlers of the Fertile Valley Nikos Panayotopoulos 1978
9. Glikia Symmoria / Sweet Bunch Nikos Nikolaidis 1983
10. I Timi tis Agapis / The Price of Love Tonia Marketaki 1983
11. Kali patrida, sintrofe / Happy Homecoming, Comrade by Lefteris Xanthopoulos
12. Ola Ine Dromos / It’s a Long Road by Pantelis Voulgaris
13. Apo tin akri tis polis / From the Edge of the City by Constantine Giannaris
14. Pes sti Morfini Akoma tin Psahno / Still Looking for Morphine by Yannis Fagras
15. Sose me / Save Me by Stratos Tzitzis
16. I Yenei tis Samothrakis / The Valiants of Samothrace by Stamatis Tsarouchas
17. Politiki kouzina / A Touch of Spice by Tassos Boulmetis
18. Kynodontas / Dogtooth by Yorgos Lanthimos
19. Strella /A Woman's Way by Panos H. Koutras
20. Mikra Anglia / Little England by Pantelis Voulgaris
Top Documentaries (alphabetically)
Agelastos petra by Filippos Koutsaftis
Oi karvouniarides by Alinda Dimitriou
Makedonikos gamos by Takis Kanellopoulos
I istoria tis ellinikis haraktikis by Gay Aggeli
Top Short Films (alphabetically)
Ekpombi by Theodoros Angelopoulos
Grammata apo tin Ameriki by Lakis Papastathis
Lacrimae rerum by Nikos Nikolaidis
Ta matoklada sou lampoun by Costas Ferris
Monastiraki by Gay Aggeli
Periptoseis tou ohi by Dimitris Avgerinos, Lakis Papastathis
Thiraikos orthros by Kostas Sfikas, Stavros Tornes
Tsouf by Thodoros Maragos (animation)
Tzimis o tigris by Pantelis Voulgaris
In their book "Los cien caminos del cine cubano" published by ICAIC, the Cuban film institute, Marta Diaz and Joel del Rio highlight 112 Cuban films that demonstrate the depth, breadth and quality of Cuban cinema, from the silent era to the present.
At the end of the 2000s, dGenerate Films asked 47 filmmakers, critics, programmers, and scholars to vote for the best Chinese-language films of the decade. This is a list of films that received at least 2 votes. See the [url=http://dgeneratefilms.com/critical-essays/best-chinese-language-films-of-the-2000s-poll-results/]list source[/url] for the complete list (including 1-vote films) and the [url=http://dgeneratefilms.com/uncategorized/best-chinese-language-films-of-the-2000s-ballots/]ballots[/url].
Missing from IMDb:
Searching for Lin Zhao’s Soul, Hu Jie
Chinese Villagers’ Documentary Project, Wu Wenguang
Classmates, Lin Xin
Seven Intellectuals in a Bamboo Forest, Yang Fudong (5 parts; 1-3 are missing)
In 2011, Arcadia magazine asked 81 critics and filmmakers to vote for the greatest Latin American films. This list includes all films that received at least 2 votes. The ballots are available on [url=http://www.revistaarcadia.com/Imprimir.aspx?idItem=24318]Arcadia's website[/url]. See [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhCbA3xledPhdGNLVVQxZy1jWi1iaUxybGtXdzUtWHc]this spreadsheet[/url] for the vote counts.
Arcadia published the [url=http://www.revistaarcadia.com/cine/multimedia/las-25-mejores-peliculas-latinoamericanas-historia/24321]top 25[/url], but some of the vote counts are incorrect, so the order is slightly different from this list (I counted the votes myself). They also removed the Spanish films, but I included them.
In 2008, Seance magazine asked 100 filmmakers and critics to vote for the best Russian films of all time. This list includes all films that received at least 2 votes. The ballots are available on [url=http://seance.ru/blog/100]Seance's website[/url]. See [url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhCbA3xledPhdGttTlpBeno4am9neEdza2xJcEdNbHc]this spreadsheet[/url] for vote counts and top directors.
In 2014, Time Out Shanghai asked 88 actors, directors, producers, critics, and academics to vote for the best Mainland Chinese films of all time. The ballots are available on [url=http://www.timeoutshanghai.com/features/Books__Film-Film_features/18277/The-100-best-Mainland-Chinese-films-contributors.html]Time Out's website[/url].
Missing from IMDb:
82. The Legend of Sealed Book (1983)
94. Zero Thousand Li Under the Clouds and Moon (2013)
99. The September of Mine (1990)
In 2007, the IMDb Classic Film Board voted for the top 100 Canadian films. See the [url=http://www.vicious-trollop.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28]list source[/url] for the point totals for each film.
From the books by Colin Crisp, in which the author analyzes 101 key films from each period.
Volume I: 1929-1939
Volume II: 1940-1958
"This invaluable resource by one of the world’s leading experts in French cinema presents a coherent overview of French cinema in the 20th century and its place and function in French society."
(from the publisher)
This is an ongoing series. A third volume covering 1958-1974 is forthcoming.