1910s's comments

greenhorg's avatar

greenhorg

Why does no one have 50 checks? Is this one of those stupid trick lists like 'Oscar nominees' that can't be completed because it contains films that don't actually exist.

greenhorg's avatar

greenhorg

Movies from the 1910s have low ratings. These are the highest rated 50, yet everything from #15 (Birth of a Nation) on down has a sub-average score.

No wonder no one cares about this list.
ViniPoaRS's avatar

ViniPoaRS

Finally, I got my bronze award! :)
What a great journey into the origins of cinema!

V.
Jumping Elephant's avatar

Jumping Elephant

@verdikt: most of them are in public domain. try the internet archives or google video.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi's avatar

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

I hope everyone understands that now. Anyone who likes or finds interesting anything that kunggi doesn't know much about or didn't like immediately is now officially crazy and/or stupid.
Timec's avatar

Timec

Some kind of masochist, or perhaps someone who just enjoys different things than you.

I haven't seen most of the films on the list, but the Lubitsch films, "Les Vampires," "J'accuse," and even some of the Griffith films are genuinely great films and still enormously entertaining.

As for your ears bleeding - a lot of these films have random scores written decades after the fact, so you aren't really obligated to listen to the music. You could always mute the TV and watch it in silence or put on an instrumental album that you do like.
monty's avatar

monty

"Congrats", Vincent1234. How on earth did you manage to locate ALL the movies on this list?
Knaldskalle's avatar

Knaldskalle

@Jook: All these IMDb lists only contain "feature length films", meaning films that are at least 40 minutes long. The exception is (obviously) IMDb's list of short films.
Ibetolis's avatar

Ibetolis

I feel nothing but shame, I've seen 1 on this list. I must rectify this at once.
verdikt's avatar

verdikt

Where do you even find these movies?
Alberto's avatar

Alberto

Why do I have a feeling that people are checking The Little Princess, but they do not realize it's not the right version they meant to check.
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

Frankenstein is not feature length.
Elvis Tarantino's avatar

Elvis Tarantino

Isn't it about time we tossed Edison's Frankenstein up there?
BaalMan's avatar

BaalMan

Cabiria may not be a master piece but it deserved to be listed here
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

The second half of Cabiria was quite boring and seemed unfocused, it was hard to follow and it didn't deal with Cabiria that much anymore. But overall I thought it was good, especially its cinematography. I don't expect a Griffithsian narrative from these early Italian movies, but the first half came pretty close at times. It was a joy to watch. I think it is definitely underrated on imdb. If I had to choose between Cabiria and Independenta Romaniei, i'd pick Cabiria any day.

This 1910's list is probably the worst list; maybe there are not enough truly great movies but still there are some masterpieces and most of the movies are worth watching.