1910s's comments

Flavio's avatar

Birth of a Nation is not even in the top 50 of the 1910s? I know it is controversial but it was a breakthrough movie and without it this list looks ridiculous.
5 months 3 weeks ago
greenhorg's avatar

Why does no one have 50 checks? Is this one of those stupid trick lists like 'Oscar nominees' that can't be completed because it contains films that don't actually exist.

ViniPoaRS's avatar

Finally, I got my bronze award! :)
What a great journey into the origins of cinema!

Timec's avatar

Some kind of masochist, or perhaps someone who just enjoys different things than you.

I haven't seen most of the films on the list, but the Lubitsch films, "Les Vampires," "J'accuse," and even some of the Griffith films are genuinely great films and still enormously entertaining.

As for your ears bleeding - a lot of these films have random scores written decades after the fact, so you aren't really obligated to listen to the music. You could always mute the TV and watch it in silence or put on an instrumental album that you do like.
hamsterburger's avatar

How are the films on this list chosen, and why are so few non-American films included?

All thought there are many good ones, it seems to me many European films of higher quality are missing.
11 months 2 weeks ago
Knaldskalle's avatar

@Jook: All these IMDb lists only contain "feature length films", meaning films that are at least 40 minutes long. The exception is (obviously) IMDb's list of short films.
verdikt's avatar

Where do you even find these movies?
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi's avatar

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

I hope everyone understands that now. Anyone who likes or finds interesting anything that kunggi doesn't know much about or didn't like immediately is now officially crazy and/or stupid.
BaalMan's avatar

I am not the type who complains about lists but it's suprising that Cabiria (1914) is missing
deadendjob's avatar

If it weren't for the goddamn racism Birth of a Nation would be #1! Damn you, D.W. Griffith!
TheMajor's avatar

Lots of Griffith on this list. His films are indeed of exceptional quality.
The rest is mostly comedy (Pickford, DeMille/Swanson, etc).
Besides Griffith, I would recommend Male and Female, Stella Maris, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Die Puppe, The Poor Little Rich Girl.

The serials I have seen so far, are also worth watching (Fantomas, Les vampires, The Perils of Pauline).

The 1910's don't offer as many great pictures as the 20's, but a select few do belong to the best silents ever. I would say: Intolerance, Broken Blossoms, Stella Maris and The Birth of a Nation.
greenhorg's avatar

Movies from the 1910s have low ratings. These are the highest rated 50, yet everything from #15 (Birth of a Nation) on down has a sub-average score.

No wonder no one cares about this list.
Ibetolis's avatar

I feel nothing but shame, I've seen 1 on this list. I must rectify this at once.
Jumping Elephant's avatar

Jumping Elephant

@verdikt: most of them are in public domain. try the internet archives or google video.
Alberto's avatar

Why do I have a feeling that people are checking The Little Princess, but they do not realize it's not the right version they meant to check.