All-Time Worldwide Box office's comments

ChrisReynolds's avatar

ChrisReynolds

As inflation continues, this list will increase exponentially. This list should either become The Top X Worldwide Box Office movies, or the limit should be increased. Top 250 would be more than enough.
Jimbo Slice's avatar

Jimbo Slice

The problem with this list will be challenging to fix. Gross sales are meaningless without inflation adjustments but given that this list includes international ticket sales and every country has different rates of inflation this adjustment is not trivial. Simply capping at some amount (ex. top 250) won't work either because new movies have a huge currency advantage over older movies. This is a good idea in theory but in practice can't produce what it claims: the most popular, money-making films of all time.
My suggestion: List the top 5-10 grossing movies for each year beginning in a year where this data is generally available. This way movies are being compared to others in the same year. Unfortunately, this list isn't easily scraped off Boxofficemojo.com so someone would have to make it first.
harposboy's avatar

harposboy

Recent additions include "Battleship," "Wrath of the Titans," "Taken 2," "Resident Evil: Retribution," "John Carter," "The Expendables 2," "Dark Shadows" and "American Reunion."

Surely we can agree this list is way, way, way too long and needs to be capped. Even 250 is generous for these qualifications.
Juan_Ana's avatar

Juan_Ana

I will never complete this list for as long as twilight is in it
argonaut645's avatar

argonaut645

This list is soon going to hit 500 movies. That seems to me like a good opportunity to change the entry criteria, to make this a Top 500 list instead of including every movie that goes over $200mil.
(I'd personally even advocate cutting this list even further down.)
ReVision's avatar

ReVision

This has got to be the hardest list to complete, so many crappy movies on here. I don't mind if i never complete this one.
BaalMan's avatar

BaalMan

The worst list ever
jerpijut's avatar

jerpijut

3 to go. I've slogged thru some crappy movies, but the completionist in me is willing me on.
Mizeri's avatar

Mizeri

The worst list ever [2]
Armoreska's avatar

Armoreska

All-Time Worldwide Worst list
Battlejayroyale's avatar

Battlejayroyale

My favorite list on ICM, by far. Almost completed it. I would hate it if ICM would reduce this list to, say, 500 entries. I don't get why everybody is complaining. The more movies in official lists, the better. Right? It's more fun this way.
Joschi's avatar

Joschi

@Public Enemy: It is called Inflation. It makes sense.
JCS's avatar

JCS

Finally proper up to date after years. Thanks!
Sammaniac's avatar

Sammaniac

It seems like they deleted the All-Time Worldwide Box office list at IMDB (as of January 1, 2016). I suggest to replace this list with the All Time Worldwide Box Office list of Box Office Mojo, which is a sister site of IMDB anyway. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
jerry warton's avatar

jerry warton

This weekend only (March 14-16, 2014) we will witness to two more titles taking a spot in here. I'm talking about 300: Rise of an Empire and Mr Peabody & Sherman, as they keep soaring towards 200 mln $. I think we should set the bar a little lower for this list. We should keep in mind that nowadays even a low-budget horror flick could easily get to 200 mln, taking into consideration inflation and mass marketing (social networks and so on). 350-400 mln $ should do. We would have 242 titles as of today, but with only one or two every couple of months adding to the list.