Contracampo's Top Brazilian Cinema's comments

BaalMan's avatar

BaalMan

we have one major problem: not even Brazilians are interested about Brazilian cinema.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

@brunoalmeida

yeah Bruno, City of God came out just the next year, you right, but it deserves to be also remembered here.

But one thing is the lack of interest by mainstream public in non English movies, another is the lack of production of movies. Countries as Italy, France, Japan, Germany, Russia, nordic countries and some west European countries are famous for the production of high value artistic movies. India and now China make lots of the same popular movies for their public as USA makes for the world. Basically forgettable blockbusters.

Brazil had a promising industry in the 60's that didn't received the right incentives probably. I think maybe today Globo films dominates the audience and the financing channels, and good movies, as City of God, are very rare, and probably most of the real cinema artists never gets the chance develop their ideas..

For the size of our country, culture and economy, our production both in number and quality is pitiful.. I really hope to see the day this changes..
brunoalmeida's avatar

brunoalmeida

@Dieguito: City of God, I think, was released after this list was compiled.
And Brazilian Cinema lacks tradition because of the poor press coverage - actually, there is a clear lack of interest on non English speaking films in general, not only brazilian ones. I might've misunderstood your phrasing, but there are many brazilian films whose lack of recognition is not due their quality, but due "world" cinema (I hate this expression) boycott.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Brazilian lack of tradition in movies reflects in a poor coverage by a specialized press. Contracampo basically is the only list there is, and a good one, all major classic Brazilian movies were remembered. But some absences should be updated, as City of God, probably the most famous Brazilian movie, for some even the best one, but not for me lol, I perfectly agree with Contracampo's choice! For those interested in exploring Brazilian cinema a little bit further I've prepared this personal list, taking only a few out of this one and adding about 30 more movies..

BaalMan's avatar

BaalMan

I took all the votes and added the films with 3 votes
frbrown's avatar

frbrown

Where did you get the results past the top 69? Did you add up the votes yourself?