Livejournal Russian top 100's comments

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi's avatar

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

How bizarre that I just submitted to the admins a suggested list of Russian films not knowing that they had just posted this one. At the risk of sounding like sour grapes, this list has a lot of great films on it but it is a poor choice on the whole. It's missing so many classics in favor of poppier fare (no surprise that it's a readers' survey, rather than a critics' list). It reads more like the imdb250 list of Russian films, rather than the sort of TSPDT of Russian lists that could have been chosen. Oh well.
iawia's avatar

iawia

The link to the source is broken.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi's avatar

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Like the Lermontovization of my moniker! I look forward to your list appearing on here, and yes, I have only just read about the future possibility of adding our own lists. I am not sure how that would work, but I hope they manage to make it convenient and yet resistant to the multiple-duplicate-entry problem that listsofbests has. It certainly promises to transform this site radically. Thanks!
Kongeslask's avatar

Kongeslask

Thought I'd share that I submitted the Guild of Russian film critics survey list from www.kinopressa.ru to the admins today and they have promised it will be added in the near future. Of course, I made it easier for them by compiling a list of the IMDB titles of the particular films and including the links to their particular entries. Mestnyi Geroi (Nashego Vremeni), perhaps they would be willing to include your grand list if you submitted it in the same way, or alternatively you could add it on your own if the promised ability to make personal lists materialises.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi's avatar

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Hi, Kongelask. Yes, that's my list, but no, that's not the one I submitted here. I assumed that a list of 1000+ was too big for the purposes of this site. I submitted the list of 50 films chosen by worldwide critics (also posted on listsofbests), but it seems I submitted it a couple of days too late to have a chance. But yes, thanks, it would be great to see that huge list on here.
Kongeslask's avatar

Kongeslask

Are you the Mestnyi Geroi behind the "1000+ Quintessential Russian Movies" at listsofbests.com, and if so was it that list you submitted? I certainly would like to see that on this site.
BaalMan's avatar

BaalMan

I like more this list:

1908-1957: http://kinoglaz.fr/histoire_chefs_d_oeuvre_1.php
1958-1999: http://kinoglaz.fr/histoire_chefs_d_oeuvre_2.php
Pickman's avatar

Pickman

It still contains a great number of gems unknown in the West.
BaalMan's avatar

BaalMan

That's a shame. Sokurov along with Tarkovsky are my favourite russian directors.

I think this list isn't a good reference anyway
Pickman's avatar

Pickman

Sokurov is more known in the West than in Russia, alas.
BaalMan's avatar

BaalMan

No Aleksandr Sokurov's films???
Unbelievable
tomsalad's avatar

tomsalad

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find the source...but's all in Russian.
Fenring's avatar

Fenring

OMGWTF??? Where is the source of LJ top100 russian movies?
tomsalad's avatar

tomsalad

I look forward to seeing as many of these movies as I can...I've only seen 2 so far.
Pickman's avatar

Pickman

If you wish to take a look at Russian cinema, here's a good starting point.