Top 250's comments

Jeckit's avatar

Jeckit

DEC 2013:Seems indian IMBD mafia is working hard these days, 3 Idiots was #245 and 1 mouth later is #200. Taare Zameen Par and Rang De Basanti suddenly appeared on the top250 and 2 weeks later they are #213 and #216.

JUN 2016: Now we have 14 films from India on this list(?) Is it the India's top 250?
TheGallopingGhost's avatar

TheGallopingGhost

If I could only see 250 movies in my life, these wouldn't be it. Still, it's a fun list with a lot of variety.

If you're thinking of working your way through a list, I'd recommend this one to start with.
dombrewer's avatar

dombrewer

@KatForsyth - that is a fascinating website, thanks for pointing it out, it's incredibly impressive work.

The only thing to say against the fact that some of these films have come and gone before and may well do again is that the majority of the recent losses (in my mind essential inclusions to a list of the greatest films and worth the discovery by inquiring minds c/o the Top 250), will never come back into a list with a 30'000 vote limit. How can they? "La Grande Illusion" has about 17'000 votes and "Come and See" around 14'000, "The Passion of Joan of Arc" 16'000, "The Wages of Fear" 20'000, "Les Diaboliques" 22'000 (which maintained a respectable hovering position of 140 to 180 on the list for the last six years, now dumped, deemed "not popular" enough)- all of these votes accrued very gradually over ten to fifteen years.

All that will happen is major blockbusters which pick up the requisite 30'000 votes quickly will enter and exclude the smaller films at the bottom end and movie diversity in the mainstream taste will dwindle. It's a travesty.
Slowlondon's avatar

Slowlondon

Welcome to India. Nope, not going to see them.
8 months ago
bathkuyp's avatar

bathkuyp

Weird list. So many movies not from India. Should be fixed.
8 months ago
ViniPoaRS's avatar

ViniPoaRS

IMDB Top 250 in 2 1/2 Minutes

crazy_bitch's avatar

crazy_bitch

icheckmovies should change the description of this IMDB list to read "this is a list by and for the Indian people".
8 months ago
SiH13's avatar

SiH13

I was so close to finish this list and then more Indian films got added. I have no intentions of watching them so I guess I'll never finish this list
3 months 1 week ago
KatForsyth's avatar

KatForsyth

Glad to see Les Diaboliques is back!
Stampece's avatar

Stampece

I prefer the lists compiled by "elites" who are students of film, as opposed to list of self-selected "reviewers". This list is obviously biased toward newer films, among other things, and it appears that the self-selected "reviewers" are predominately male.
buddhalou's avatar

buddhalou

This list is irrelevant in so many ways, but the nationality sandbagging (I'm looking at you, India) is particularly irritating. I see the latest organized push is a 40 year old flick that all of a sudden just drops into the list at #127. What a freaking joke.
1 year 1 month ago
Maroder's avatar

Maroder

Minimum number of votes changed from 3,000 to 25,000. It's a travesty.
peterskb45's avatar

peterskb45

My new policy is to now only watch movies from this list that also appear on non-IMDb lists. I have accepted that I will never officially complete this, and I am okay with it.
2 months 4 weeks ago
KatForsyth's avatar

KatForsyth

But dombrewer, if you look at the histories of the films you mention, some of them are only recent additions to the Top 250 (before this mass exodus, of course), and others were constantly in and out every week. Come and See is an example of the former, and La Grande Illusion the latter.

This fascinating site (which I love!) charts the history of all the Top 250 movies: http://took.nl/250/titles/index/page:1/sort:date_created/direction:desc
Interestingly, the only "new" movie to the list in this big change is A Fistful of Dollars! Everything else has been on the list before, and they'll continue to rise and fall, and maybe eventually be replaced with some of the ones you mentioned. But it's a fluctuating list, so I'm not too upset. Not nearly as upset as I was when the AFI revised their Top 100 movies list!
dyin2live's avatar

dyin2live

Did the formula suddenly change? Last I checked, I was missing 9 and now I'm missing 19, this list is a real moving target.

Edit: 8/29/16: Appears IMDB has added a new list for Bollywood movies, so the problem has resolved itself. (Not sure why my initial comment got downvoted. Didn't think I said anything upsetting.)
8 months ago