Incarnett's avatar

Incarnett

I feel sorry for the costume designers. So much work for a mediocre film with bad acting (Rinko Kikuchi). I expected so much after a great trailer, and the story had such a great potential. I was disappointed.
Cuadie's avatar

Cuadie

Really good CGI, story with potential but just horrific dialog and acting.
CarpFace's avatar

CarpFace

There was a long sequence where they go to get magic swords. Magic swords that don't seem to do anything magic.
CSSCHNEIDER's avatar

CSSCHNEIDER

I went to see this out of respect for several friends who appear in it. I loved seeing their faces on the big screen, but sadly the film is incredibly dull, especially for a Fantasy Actioner set against the backdrop of feudal Japan.
boulderman's avatar

boulderman

Finally gave this a chance. Predicted there would be spoiler Streamlined script, not too little and not clogged. Fits the Hollywood mould but a bit meh :/ and whilst the emotion is there and there is focus and camera work I felt it needed a tighter focus on the characters (despite it having it). Hard to say
TalkingElvish's avatar

TalkingElvish

Plodding, forced, clunky, pointless 3D, stilted acting and clumsy dialogue, yet the actual story itself was strong enough to make this interesting. The CGI was impressive and it doesn't deserve to be regarded as a 'massive embarrassing flop' of a film.

47 Ronin is a lot better than I was led to believe. Don't get me wrong, it's problematic in that it makes one of the famous ronin a white man, and goes through some pretzelly convolutions to put a non-Japanese outsider in the story. It also looks like the editing was done with a butcher's knife to try and fix something (including dreaded unnecessary narration), and that it would benefit from a longer cut to make things hit harder and more clearly. And not gonna lie, the accents are so variable, I really wish this had been, straight up, in Japanese with subtitles. Delivery and acting would have seemed more natural. That said, why do I still kinda like this movie? Well, it often looks beautiful, so in terms of pure cinematography and creating a fantasy version of Japan with magic and monsters, it's triumphantly distinctive if a little underexplained. Keanu Reeves as the samurai version of John Wick gets some good fights, and the larger set pieces are good too, including the final siege. So yeah, I wasn't sure about it at first, but by the climax, I was grokking it, warts and all.
PieceOfMetal's avatar

PieceOfMetal

It should've just been a fantasy movie or a story about honor and revenge but not both. This movie did not do justice to either genre.
bandofoutsider's avatar

bandofoutsider

I didn't realize everyone spoke perfect English in feudal Japan until I watched this movie.
few visible scars's avatar

few visible scars

Ahhhhhh!!! Love film sent me this in error instead of the Mizoguchi version. Thats my excuse anyway.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Looked great and ok entertaining fantasy adventure movie but should have been much better. Movie was severely edited.
ThomasFTB's avatar

ThomasFTB

Yep, the way Rinko Kikuchi chewed up all that scenery was certainly shiney
Ninjagodzilla's avatar

Ninjagodzilla

Much better than I expected. Sanada Hiroyuki and Kikuchi Rinko shine. A little goofy at times but entertaining.
Fredurix's avatar

Fredurix

I liked this film a lot more than I thought I would!
Yes, a lot of the acting is either stiff or forced, but it's briskly paced, it looks absolutely gorgeous, and the fantasy elements worked to the story's advantage.
meysam_a's avatar