TalkingElvish's avatar

TalkingElvish

Fantastic daringly original film, full of visual ingenuity and with truly chilling, hilarious and beautiful scenes. Though the story is a little underexplored, the dialogue is brilliant and for what is essentially five guys in a field with some cheap effects and period props and costumes, this is an amazing film.
RoastMutton10's avatar

RoastMutton10

Another strong (and suitably weird) entry for Ben Wheatley's filmography. I recommend seeing it at the cinema if possible, although it is a strange feeling coming home with the knowledge I could catch its television debut under an hour later.
CSSCHNEIDER's avatar

CSSCHNEIDER

I''ve been a bit less than tepid toward Ben Wheatley's films, but this, this comes so close to greatness. It tips toward lesser at about the halfway point. It remains interesting, but boy it comes close to real horror, real art, and fantastic cinema. Still, one of the better films I've seen this year, but not the instant classic it came so close to being.
MarkE89's avatar

MarkE89

The film is a pretentious mess with some nice imagery, a great score and, unfortunately, nothing to tie it all together. The script is too film-schooly and boasts an immature love for brusque statements and Tarkovsky-like metaphors, both of which are handled poorly. While Wheatley is usually adept at such strange material, he seems to have been preoccupied with using this entire thing (including distribution) as a fun experiment. Which it clearly might have been. For him.

Otherwise, Michael Smiley does a great job as the harrowing "alchemist".
MoutardedShroom's avatar

MoutardedShroom

Holy shit this movie!
This is a reminder that great films don't need big money or follow a successful formula, but instead can work on just an interesting concept and a clear vision.
Uncompromising cinema at its (almost) best.
tommodee's avatar

tommodee

As an earlier comment noted, I feel a little bit dazed after watching this. It was visually striking, well scripted, and boasts an 'otherness' that lends an endearing quality.
I'll be thinking about it for days, I can tell. I can't wait to watch it again.
Ralf's avatar

Ralf

TalkingElvish wrote:

Well put!
Marasmusine's avatar

Marasmusine

Could've done with more Julian Barratt, was hoping he would reappear near the end.
Mhrass's avatar

Mhrass

Brilliant, Loved it.
RaggedReels's avatar

RaggedReels

I don't know what to say about this film. It is certainly daring, it is certainly interesting, but the plot as mentioned is heavily under explored. I feel a little dazed. Some beautiful camera work though.