Captain Qynce's avatar

Captain Qynce

always, always save the cat.
Filmsthemostbeautifulart's avatar

Filmsthemostbeautifulart

I have seen a dozen alien movies including Alien vs. Predator. I even knew what the alien looks like so I wasn't having high expectations from this movie. But, It got me, boy! From beginning till the end, the movie was astounding. Unlike other movies which are made today (which show a lot of gore and are very action packed) Alien is the only alien movie that gives a creepy feeling of "We are not alone". Unlike today's movies, they spent the first few minutes only to show us the entire the art-direction of the ship and how it works. Surprisingly enough, all the important scenes take place in these areas. Ridley Scott very cleverly creates the tension, slowly and slowly and a bit fast and a bit more fast and then a bang in the end! I still wonder how the hell they must have created those creatures and that too with extremely higher detail. The story to has a hard solid structures with pretty shocking twists. This movie is not like those non-sense action horror movies where you just watch people dying. Alien is way ahead of even today's film-making. It's a true benchmark like 2001 A space Odyssey. It's a highly recommended masterpiece.

5/5
Jok3r's avatar

Jok3r

[9/10] Ridley Scott sure knows how to make unique atmospheric science-fiction films (Blade Runner and Prometheus). And Alien is nothing short of a classic marvel. Unlike other horror movies, Alien builds up on slow intense uprising of monstrosities instead of cheap thrills, that runs at the perfect pace throughout it's entirety.

Sigourney Weaver, plays the lead role of Warrent Officer Ellen Ripley with great command. She has little interest in the hope of finding any aliens or exploration, as her main job was to head back home with her crew from the Nostromo, after extracting tons of mineral ores from planets in the neighbouring stellar systems.
But, fate, coupled along with a larger conspiracy, leads Ripley's team from one catastrophe to another and her eventual infallible hatred for the aliens becomes a long running thread featured through all future alien movies.

Again, Ridley Scott sure knows how to take the 'Fear of the Unknown' theme to a whole new level and craft it into movies with respectable aesthetics. And the pacing of Alien, in the current age and day, is still regarded in terms of bleak poetry. The only reason why I can't give this movie a perfect 10 is because of the stupid cat, Mr. Jones. I am pretty sure most of us could agree, in attempts of saving the darn cat, the survival chances of some of the crew members reduced to a minimum, along with some unrealistic scenes as well. [9/10]
Forrester's avatar

Forrester

Science-fiction is one of my least favorite genres (along with fantasy), but I think Alien is a really good movie. The cinematography is great and there's some really good suspense. This movie is best described as "Jaws in space".
BasakP's avatar

BasakP

Jonesy <3
7 months ago
Toljus's avatar

Toljus

Still the best Alien movie, slasher movie, sci-fi movie and horror movie. Lots of sequels, spin-offs and imitators; none even come close.
9 months 1 week ago

Still, the best of the series, the sexual subtext makes this rise above the typical film of this genre. Revolutionary at the time, it's still very disturbing and horrific.
kurvduam's avatar

kurvduam

(removed by mod: please post in English)
KJha's avatar

KJha

First movie of an incredible saga.
Classics are sometimes the bests, and it is the case here.
How to make people be scared of what they barely see? You will find it out by watching Alien...
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

A classic, of course. I expected a tiny little bit more, but it was generally quite good. The aliens looked amazing (just like the other effects), the atmosphere was really scary and Sigourney Weaver was great.
ClassicLady's avatar

ClassicLady

The cinematography was great. It helped to convey the feeling of suspense and claustrophobia. Man, that alien is ugly!
zombiecreature's avatar

zombiecreature

Really gross and suspenseful! I really wish we could have seen more of the gross alien but sadly we only got a couple of glimpses of them. Also while shooting this movie, I would not like to have been freaked out and not knowing what would happen!
smeggers's avatar

smeggers

I decided to re-watch this in anticipation for Prometheus coming out in a few weeks. This may still be the most tense & scary sci-fi film ever made. Even knowing more or less what was coming I was still on the edge of my seat for most of the movie. An absolute classic.
KieranD's avatar

KieranD

@RockosFP One or the other officer, he can't kill himself and then browse a website.

Alien was great. Coming at this as someone with no fond memories of it I can honestly say that the visuals of it were outstanding, and to think it was all made in the late 70s is a touch mind boggling. It makes me a little sad, to be honest, that no one's really doing this any more: making a real set, not relying on a good 3D modeller. The film isn't as scary as some may expect and the gore moments didn't shock me particularly, but I enjoyed it for the plot and design over any scare factor.
silhuzz's avatar

silhuzz

great concept and introduction. Cant wait to find out more about the Jockey.