buc86's avatar

buc86

As a movie on its own, it's fine. As the swan song to one of the original Avengers not to mention the first female Avenger and a movie that we've all wanted for about 7 years... it's a pretty big letdown.

It's just your standard action film, and don't get me wrong as that it's fine, I've just come the expect more from the MCU and this character.

The sister is great though, hope we see more of her.
4 months 4 weeks ago
adiragnam's avatar

adiragnam

First half was surprisingly brisk, tightly packed and, dare I say, sweet and funny in most spots.
Even the action scenes seemed great and hyped you up for the rest of the movie.
But the second half was all over the place and the action scenes were dispensed off with, in favour of clumsy emotional scenes.
Certainly not a dud, but not a memorable entry either.
Florence Pugh's character oscillated between the star, comic relief and irrelevant.
4 months 4 weeks ago

Filling in Black Widow's back story while also giving her a Civil War-era swan song AND setting up a new Widow in the process is a lot to ask of a single MCU entry, but for me it worked. The sense of family that Natasha got from the Avengers actually stems from another constructed family in Russia, and as a unit, I thought they were fun and charming. None more so than Florence Pugh's Yelena - and you know I'm more excited about Pugh than I am the MCU - as Nat's bratty sister (if you think about the plot MacGuffin, it makes sense that she would be a stunted adolescent). She can do the action, she can be funny and cynical, but it's when she gets emotional that I completely embrace the character. Abandonment issues are at the heart of the film, along with a big dose of sisterhood (far more than "family"). The movie's action is quite a bit more gritty in the first half, eventually expanding to things only superheroes could do, and maybe we miss that Bourne Identity energy by the big climax, but not overmuch. Could have been a little trimmer, but a repugnant villain, a global adventure, fun new characters, even some twists and surprises, go a long way justifying the length.
4 months 3 weeks ago
NourNasreldin's avatar

NourNasreldin

Disappointed because does Marvel even care how long we've been waiting for this one?

I don't care if it stands as a "good action movie on its own", this is Black Widow! We expected so much more than a good action movie.
4 months 3 weeks ago
MrDoog's avatar

MrDoog

Another predictable by the numbers entry from Marvel, once again with plenty of awful attempts at the Russian accent.

Cannot understand the high reviews this is getting, there's nothing new or special about it. Just the usual 6.5/10 which is where this franchise's movies usually sit
4 months 3 weeks ago
nowhereman136's avatar

nowhereman136

It really does feel like a side-quest for the MCU. It also couldve used a better theme than just Family, especially since it's not really mentioned elsewhere in Widow's MCU appearances. On top of that, it has a very boring supervillain and cliche puppetmaster, both coudve been handled better. But, even MCU's weaker films are still pretty great. Perfectly casted and the actors play off each other great. The directing was good and the action was creative. I would love to see these characters again

7/10
4 months 4 weeks ago
imokaylarry's avatar

imokaylarry

Competent throughout but by the end feels like less than the sum of its parts. The family element was the most successful for me, even if much of the conversation between family members felt like they were just going through the motions instead of really connecting.

Some good action scenes, though sometimes overlong and repetitive. Much of the essential story exposition also feels rushed or simply not set up sufficiently to deserve the payoff. Likely this was initially a much longer script that was cut as Disney to have started imposing 2hr 15 limits on their recent straight to Disney plus films.

Throughout I felt something disconnecting me, getting in the way of me engaging more, which I largely put down the the very conventional use of music and sound, putting a buffer between me and the actual sound of the film world - but this is a very common issue I have with mainstream films, and is particularly noticeable in the David Attenborough wildlife documentaries, which can be otherwise incredible but I find my brain switching off with the music. It tells me not to pay attention and instead saps the tension from scenes. Why it’s more of a problem here than in many other marvel films, I don’t know, but it would be interesting to study.
1 week 3 days ago
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

6+/10
Marvel makes entertaining movies indeed! Haha!
2 months 3 weeks ago
chunkylefunga's avatar

chunkylefunga

If I were Scarlett I would have sued Disney for a different reason...rubbish storyline.
3 months 1 week ago
peterskb45's avatar

peterskb45

Less of a "goodbye" to ScarJo and more of a "welcome" to Florence Pugh.
4 months 2 weeks ago
ryano1076's avatar

ryano1076

Florence Pugh (the sister) completely stole the movie. Was disappointed that this was not an origin story for Nat, would've worked a lot better than squeezing in a side story of being on the run between Civil War and Infinity War. Still a pretty good action movie overall, though.
4 months 3 weeks ago
kurisu1974's avatar

kurisu1974

Does anyone still care?

And why?
4 months 4 weeks ago
Torgo's avatar

Torgo

Below-average MCU in my opinion, and I enjoyed all of their output since 2015 (yup, even Captain Marvel!). Florence Pugh overshadows Scarlett in her own film.
4 months 4 weeks ago
CodeV's avatar

CodeV

Solid episode in the Marvel's Universe. Don't forget to watch all the credits.

+ Natasha's family relations