aussieflickfan's avatar

aussieflickfan

I suppose if you know a bit about the film noir style you may get more out of this film. I think it succeeds, especially because of the music, which helps to make up for the deficiencies in script and/or acting. I like the theme of finite life - who can't identify with that?
Typically Thomas's avatar

Typically Thomas

I love the design, the score, the filmic quality. On a technical level this movie stands among the greatest ever made. And that's why I hate myself for not liking it. It bores me. I desperately want to vigorously love this movie, and from all technical aspects I do. I just can't get through the story, which is fairly objectively well written. I don't know why I don't like it.

The emasculated theatrical release is terrible, but the director's cut is excellent. Moody, literate, full of symbolism and asking questions, it's unique among SF films.
Olli's avatar

Olli

i can understand why some ppl don't like this movie.
still in my personal top 5, i think it's awesome :)
vishnu's avatar

vishnu

good one... but can anyone tell me why it is considered as a GREAT movie?
TravisSMcClain's avatar

TravisSMcClain

I finally saw this just now (theatrical cut, for whatever that counts). I was very impressed with the production design; it has certainly withstood the test of time so far and I concur with those who feel it rivals or bests its modern competitors. I also thought Rutger Hauer was terrific. Otherwise, I was fairly underwhelmed. The theme of exploring mortality was interesting, but I didn't feel there was anything new here that I hadn't already read or seen elsewhere.
Ivan0716's avatar

Ivan0716

This still stands as one of the very few sci-fi films that I like.
vnov's avatar

vnov

My favorite, #1!
MrCarmady's avatar

MrCarmady

Don't get the hype.
cicciocc's avatar

cicciocc

Every time I see a version, I tend to forgot the differences. 2007 final cut was my best: perhaps not commercially, but certainly artistically and for a mature audience.

For those interested in discovering, in a synthetic way, the differences between the various versions shown of the movie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner) I found a video : https://youtu.be/gmOvb41Zbb4
11 months ago
Aeon Rio's avatar

Aeon Rio

Either the movie is overrated, or I didn't get the plot. Would've rated 6.5 but IMDb does not allow rating in fractions.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

A good movie, beautifully shot, and the soundtrack is incredible. I do think it suffers from being overrated, but only on the basis of how its themes are presented. It's often touted as having this blockbuster-sized moral story that transcends the ages but after watching it so many times I guess I'm just missing it. Don't get me wrong, it has interesting themes but they never strike me as a core part of the movie.
Deborah Peterson's avatar

Deborah Peterson

Movie specific, but it's worth the attention)
fonz's avatar

fonz

Depending on the cut, it's either a comedy or one of the best science fiction films you will see. Regardless, it is a fantastic adaptation of a meh work from a brilliant author.
Ilikechicken's avatar

Ilikechicken

Its not as "actiony" or fast paced as your average sci-fi movie, but the plot is brilliant.