Zeltaebar's avatar

Zeltaebar

Hepburn is so annoying, I too want to punch her.
Paper_Okami's avatar

Paper_Okami

One of the funniest movies ever still holds up after 72 years!
TalkingElvish's avatar

TalkingElvish

Really struggled with this film. I can see the appeal, the manic energy of it and the zaniness of how the story escalates, the amazing outfits, cars, houses and aesthetics, but GOD this is an irritating film. Firstly, why is Cary Grant's character at all appealing? I can see why Grant himself is, especially when he has an implausibly well paying job at which is he is terrible, why these women throw themselves at him is also something I couldn't get behind. Why have the world's most irritating dog bark all through a scene? How is constant yapping anything other than annoying? I get that its illustrating he inanity of everything else in that scene but how about not having that dog at all? Or that scene at all? Everyone in this film is frustrating, it's assumed that we can get on board with their relentless smugness and that the premise of Baby doesn't get old, which it does very quickly. The leading characters' arrogance, wanton waste of money, privilege and time was just too daft to begin with let alone built a story on. So much extraordinary talent was involved with this film, and I'm glad so many people can get something out of it and find it hilarious, but, unlike most screwballs, this was phenomenally irritating from beginning to end.
11 months 3 weeks ago
swhaze's avatar

swhaze

This film was over schedule, over budget, and considered a flop when it was first released. Production was frequently delayed due to uncontrollable laughing fits between Hepburn and Grant. Hepburn struggled with her comedic performance and was coached by her co-star, vaudeville veteran Walter Catlett.
9 months 3 weeks ago
MetalMagnum's avatar

MetalMagnum

Wow, this movie has aged incredibly well. Hysterical from start to finish; love the Major Applegate character. Hepburn is horribly annoying, but her outfits are fantastic! The limits of the audience's suspension of disbelief are challenged in this film where nonsensical arguments and high jinks run amok. I can't say I cared for Cary Grant's character either, but there is some great acting in this film!
10 months 3 weeks ago
CynInFlicks's avatar

CynInFlicks

I saw this a few days ago for the first time in many, many years. I am visiting Belgium, so saw it with on the big screen on a very scratchy old print, with both French and Dutch subtitles! Very witty and lots of laugh-out-loud moments, although Susan is simply infernal with her seemingly-invincible gumption carries on until the moment she becomes a stereotypical whiny/dim/clingy female (yuck). Great fun, nonetheless.
11 months 3 weeks ago
ptiburdukoffa's avatar

ptiburdukoffa

Hepburn is so annoying, I want to punch her too .
1 year 1 month ago
crazy_bitch's avatar

crazy_bitch

Hard to enjoy this comedy; Susan (Hepburn's character) is just too much of an unbearable asshole, provoking anger and frustration rather than amusement. The way she is evil on purpose, is knowlingy breaking laws and endangering others, stealing whatever she wants, destroying property without hesitation or regret, blackmailing people for her own gain, constantly lying and insulting everyone around her makes you wish for bad things to happen to her rather than allow for the creation of a single funny moment in this movie.
johnnyg's avatar

johnnyg

Wow this was really quite great, all you naysayers had me worried. Hepburn was wonderful, despite giving birth to hundreds of lesser manic pixie dream girls.
Burningstardust's avatar

Burningstardust

Hepburn is annoying at first, but I must admit she grows on me, and I find this movie very funny. Very pleasantly surprised. And Cary Grant is absolutely flawless in it.
mochiusle's avatar

mochiusle

That is totally hilarious!
Timec's avatar

Timec

roobin_22 - It's hilarious that you think it's hilarious that others would like a great movie.
Slylingual24's avatar

Slylingual24

image
Flops's avatar

Flops

Cary Grant speaks so strangely. I need to see more movies where he doesn't play an awkward nerd.
Warrison's avatar

Warrison

I am massive fan of both the main actors (Grant & Hepburn), but this was way to manic for my liking.