woaksie's avatar

woaksie

Holy Shit - this is a powerful movie. The best performances are by a 12 year old boy and A BABY! Both deserve Oscars! You never quite know where this film is going even though most of it is flashbacks. The last 10 seconds of the film finally pushed me over the edge and I cried like a baby - but happy tears. There is nothing formalistic about this film and every time you think you know where it is going it doesn't go there. It is unsentimental and unflinching but there is a human tenderness running through this brutal story.
flaiky's avatar

flaiky

I'm starting the awards campaign now: baby Yonas for Best Supporting Actor.
1 year 1 month ago
C-3PO's avatar

C-3PO

Loved the boy and the baby's scenes! I laughed and I cried so much. He has to be the best big brother in the history of cinema! Such raw and genuine tenderness in that boy's heart despite everything. And such suffering too. His eyes are incredibly powerful. Throughout the film you can really feel what he is going through just by looking into his eyes.
9 months 3 weeks ago
Sukkermaur's avatar

Sukkermaur

A beautiful and powerful film. Great directing, and wonderful actors.
airi86ja's avatar

airi86ja

Painful to watch... very true and touching.
Applause to actors and the director
8 months 2 weeks ago
dajmasta94's avatar

dajmasta94

The most engaging film I saw from 2018. I think the ending was a little weak. Not sure how to describe why, I guess there were a lot of emotional peaks over the duration and the end didn’t have as much of an impact for me. I guess so much of the film and I suppose film in general is about showing us the themes, the end attempts to summarize them a little bit with some narration which wasn’t underwhelming to me for some reason. Overall this is a fantastic achievement, the performances are absolutely incredible, and the (IMO) slightly awkward ending is more of a nitpick only being mentioned because it was the most glaring negative aspect of the film for me.
9 months 1 week ago
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

7/10
Oh, what a terrible fate! Capernaum = Aramaic, Jesus' language he spoke, almost extinct today - the language has influenced the French. Means "hell on earth". The town is today just in ruins, mentioned in the Bible as one of the northern cities that Jesus was annoyed over, despite performing miracles there - the people there continued to sin far too much ("Even Sodom will receive a milder treatment on Judgment Day").

I saw it with Lidingö FilmStudio tonight Mon 4 Nov, 2019 at 3pm. A superb introduction by the legendary film journalist Bo Bjelvenstam.
1 month ago
Shingwauk's avatar

Shingwauk

Totally heartbreaking. I fell in love with Zain and Yonas.
8 months ago
hannark's avatar

hannark

Zian should go down as one of the great film heroes.
9 months 2 weeks ago
thesearethethoughts's avatar

thesearethethoughts

Film of the year.
10 months 1 week ago
Cundurs's avatar

Cundurs

See it! And it can be seen from different angles as I discovered from discussing it with a friend. I see it as a struggle of a person who is very much awake and is not ready to settle in the injustices of culture and the surrounding environment but is willing to fight and do what's have to be done. Others can maybe lament the cultural and environmental pressure on people who are not capable of thinking for themselves and live with dormant self-awareness. The story very well told and leaves you with a heavy heart. And 100% agree on all the prises for the kids acting - incredible and Oscar deserving.
1 month ago