beerbaron7's avatar

beerbaron7

The thing I love about the Paramount Marvel movies is that they manage to be fun and colourful and true to the comics, while still being grounded in reality on some level. Is this the Dark Knight? No. If it was, it wouldn't be Captain America, nor would it fit into this incredible "Avenger" universe they've created. Seriously—the fact that they managed to tie all of these movies together so well is nothing short of an incredible feat. It's how superhero movies were always meant to be done.

If you didn't atleast enjoy the ride, you probably weren't meant to see it anyway.

I was expecting Captain America and Bucky, but I wasn't expecting the Howling Commandos and the Human Torch android. I was expecting the Red Skull, but not Arnim Zola and Hydra. I certainly wasn't expecting a visual reference to the Cosmic Cube or a musical number. Not only is Cap a good superhero movie, but a war picture as well, and its got those extra layers for the knowledgeable comic book geek too. I was reminded throughout of how good the G.I. Joe movie might have been, because this is basically that, isn't it? A good G.I. Joe movie. And it's almost disappointing to leave World War II behind for Avengers and any possible sequel, because it really gave Captain America its own identity (which I believe is where the Marvel movies' success lies - Cap as Weird War II movie, Thor as fantasy, etc.). That, and it means we lose Tommy Lee Jones' Colonel Phillips!
diegomb's avatar

diegomb

Liked the Steve Rogers part, but once he starts being Captain America the movie goes downhill.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Starts out pretty good, but falls flat in the second half. Ok
Oneironaut's avatar

Oneironaut

Decent. They managed to make something out of perhaps the campiest comic book hero.

However there was the definite feel to the movie that it was just a lead up to the Avengers. Couldn't shake it off.
badblokebob's avatar

badblokebob

There's good bits in it, but it felt too much like someone gave the writers a check list of "bits of mythology you must include" and they struggled to shape a story around including them all. Shame.
AlexsonP's avatar

AlexsonP

Finally watched Captain America: The First Avenger. I liked it. It's got a nice retro vibe and old fashioned direction with wonderful visuals. I mean DAMN, Chris Evans body transformation before and after was flawless..but yeah. It's got a set of nice performances mainly Chris Evans. Action scenes are awesome .Direction flows nicely and embraces a certain cheesy side that somehow is not cringe worthy. Flaws are many. I disliked Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull..He was just very...cliched and boring. The film lacked proper characterization which is something I felt Thor was much better at. I mean the film went by VERY fast. It was entertaining but I felt certain things such as Steve Rogers and the struggles of his life before actually getting the powers could have had more depth,etc. The ending is a bit anti-climatic. I mostly blame it on the poor characterization...BUT I enjoyed it.

7.2/10
Nine99's avatar

Nine99

One of those action movies that bores you.
Mudskipper's avatar

Mudskipper

Cap had a ton of missions during WWII that didn't involve Hydra. Red Skull didn't have the Cosmic Cube until he later woke up in the present day and was never part of Hydra but hey this is the Marvel movieverse not everything has to be exactly like the comic. disappointed that we didn't even get a Zemo or Von Strucker cameo though. I chuckled at some of the easter egg scenes and I couldn't stop grinning when the USO song started playing! Overall it's a great movie! I really enjoyed watching Cap. I give it a 4.5/5!

HAIL HYDRA!
Eduardo Nasi's avatar

Eduardo Nasi

I know, it is due to the connection with all Marvel movies... But all the magic blue rays made the movie worst than it should be.

There are nice findings, really cool insights about the Kirby characters in the movie, but they pratically disappear when you notice the soldiers do not really die (visually, I mean), they just become blue smoke and vanish in the air.

Maybe I was expecting something more similar to a war movie...

Anyway, these seem to be hard days for war movies for teenagers. Mainly if the main character is Captain America.
Marasmusine's avatar

Marasmusine

Yet another female character only there to fawn over the geek wish-fulfilment hero.
WongusAmongus's avatar

WongusAmongus

Thought this was great. I'm glad they took the direction they took in making this film. It felt like it was made with a lot of passion, not just for film, but for the character and the world that Captain America inhabits.

I'm pretty glad it wasn't dark and cerebral. Captain America isn't a particularly complex character. But just because it isn't complex doesn't make it bad, it just makes for an incredibly likeable character in this case. Captain America is someone you love rooting for, and you want him to success, because his intentions are so noble and he wants no part in being an anti-hero (Which, I predict, will make an interesting dynamic with Iron Man in the Avengers film). Besides, the ending is a bit grim in and of itself isn't it? It might be one of the most fun Avengers films, but it certainly has the darkest ending, in my opinion.

All in all, fun movie, great performances, and it totally could've worked as a standalone movie (which is something I feel that few of the Avengers movies could actually do).
brain015's avatar

brain015

Not The Dark Knight caliber (what is?), but a really good super hero comic book movie. I never would have thought a Captain America movie could have been done seriously. They did it.
caiman's avatar

caiman

A boring, CGI-loaded, formula-following, cliche-riddled explosion show whose primary purpose was to attempt to sell me another crappy looking upcoming superhero movie.
ikkegoemikke's avatar

ikkegoemikke

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are, not a perfect soldier, but a good man."

image

Since 2000 we are literally flooded with film versions of Marvel heroes. Just a small list: X-Men, Blade, Spider Man, Daredevil, The Hulk, The Punisher, Elektra, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy ... Pretty impressive. And this year there's the release of "Captain America: Winter Soldier" of which I read so many good things everywhere. In preparation for this, I had to watch the first film from "Captain America" so I'll be proper prepared.

Captain America was introduced before World War II by Marvel and was immensely popular among the American troops. That's because he fought against the Nazis, the Japanese and other enemies of the U.S. After the 2nd World War he fought against communists during the Cold War. After that he sank into oblivion but was summoned back to join "The Avengers". Unlike other Marvel superheroes he doesn't have any super powers. He just has those immense muscles to defend himself with.

This movie takes place in 1942. Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) wants to join the army at all costs, to participate in defeating the Nazi regime in Europe. He is far too petite and has a whole catalog of illnesses. He is rejected while his good friend James "Bucky" Barnes (Sebastian Stan) is approved and about to leave to the front. At an exhibition Rogers attracts the attention of a certain Professor Erskine (Stanley Tucci) who makes him an offer: joining the secret project "Rebirth" where he'll receive injections and radiations with "Vita"-rays which will stabilize and activate the injected chemicals. His physical appearance changes quite dramatically. That thin, weak little boy changes into a healthy and muscular super soldier. Erskine has chosen him because he's sure that a weak person will continue to respect this gift and still will show compassion. "Because the strong man who has known power all his life, May lose respect for That power, but a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows ... compassion." But Steve Rogers is the only super soldier that mankind will know because professor Erskine is assassinated and thus the experiment can no longer be repeated.

The first half hour was funny and entertaining. The atmosphere of the 40's was beautiful integrated. A little bit sallow and with that 40's flair achieved by the costumes and decor. It really had that feeling of a pre-war film. The illusion they created seeing Chris Evans transforming from a toddler to an impressive person is wonderfully realized. Tommy Lee Jones (as the drill sergeant) and Tucci take care of some funny moments. Even the part where Captain America is used as a living billboard to attract new cannon fodder for the ongoing war, was reasonably entertaining. And then everything starts to look a bit ordinary and Captain America becomes a parody of itself. The transformation of a schmuck into an invincible someone is obviously something the audience loves to see, but the bland and cartooned second part puts a damper on that grandiose beginning.

The fight against the Nazi Johan Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) or Red Skull, who's in possession of some sort of cube from Odin (crucial in "The Avengers") which contains a super power that he wants to use to put the entire Nazi regime aside and conquer the world with, is initially enjoyable but eventually decays into a lousy action-movie. I thought it was a poor and incoherent story filled with asinine coincidences. The revue Captain America performs in, happens to move to Italy. Turns out his good friend "Bucky" is kidnapped by Red Skull and sits in the castle that the latter has taken over, to expand his organization "Hydra" and provide them with devastating weapons which work with the occult forces of the captured cube. But despite that almost invincible power, it really is a piece of cake for Captain America to sweep them together on a pile. He waltzes through it as if he is faced with an army of garden gnomes who are trying to defend themselves with tiny weapons. This really looked rather simplistic. One moment Red Skull inspects his troops and before you know it he's evacuating the castle in a panic, because Captain America came knocking on a door and a German porter on duty became acquainted with his legendary shield. The credibility of the story at that time was like the person Rogers was before he got those chemicals : weak, poor and meager. You can't call it exciting actually. And it's as predictable as the fact that Easter Monday will be this year again on a Monday.

The performances on the other hand are of an acceptable level. Chris Evans is superb as Captain America. The transformation of an insignificant schmuck into a savior and example of braveness for the American people, is simply sublime. Unfortunately his character eventually evolves into a third-rate action figure with an uninspired storyline. Tommy Lee Jones was again irresistible in a role that suits him. A humorless, moody loudmouth with a strong opinion and someone who says his unvarnished opinion. Hugo Weaving was perfect for the role as the dictatorial Nazi Schmidt and archenemy Red Skull. His grim facial features and demagogic madness made me forget to get irritated by his English with an exaggerated German accent.

But despite the fine performances, this Captain America was no more than an average action movie. No suspense and totally not impressive. Visually it didn't look that bad but the story was of a questionable level. Ultimately, it's only an introduction to the film "The Avengers." The only thing I could think of was "I hope the sequel isn't such a dull spectacle as this .....".

PS. However, I can tell you that the sequel is fantastic ...