beerbaron7's avatar

beerbaron7

The thing I love about the Paramount Marvel movies is that they manage to be fun and colourful and true to the comics, while still being grounded in reality on some level. Is this the Dark Knight? No. If it was, it wouldn't be Captain America, nor would it fit into this incredible "Avenger" universe they've created. Seriously—the fact that they managed to tie all of these movies together so well is nothing short of an incredible feat. It's how superhero movies were always meant to be done.

If you didn't atleast enjoy the ride, you probably weren't meant to see it anyway.

I was expecting Captain America and Bucky, but I wasn't expecting the Howling Commandos and the Human Torch android. I was expecting the Red Skull, but not Arnim Zola and Hydra. I certainly wasn't expecting a visual reference to the Cosmic Cube or a musical number. Not only is Cap a good superhero movie, but a war picture as well, and its got those extra layers for the knowledgeable comic book geek too. I was reminded throughout of how good the G.I. Joe movie might have been, because this is basically that, isn't it? A good G.I. Joe movie. And it's almost disappointing to leave World War II behind for Avengers and any possible sequel, because it really gave Captain America its own identity (which I believe is where the Marvel movies' success lies - Cap as Weird War II movie, Thor as fantasy, etc.). That, and it means we lose Tommy Lee Jones' Colonel Phillips!
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Starts out pretty good, but falls flat in the second half. Ok
diegomb's avatar

diegomb

Liked the Steve Rogers part, but once he starts being Captain America the movie goes downhill.
Videl's avatar

Videl

The same feeling as Thor.. Just a build up for the Avengers, but did his love interest and prof Stark ended up together? Is Tony Stark the son? That would suck. :P
stev3nj's avatar

stev3nj

pretty good if you know what to expect but the middle part is kinda boring.
bitchypixels's avatar

bitchypixels

I'm pretty sure this was just made to include a deeper background to Captain America before the Avengers was released. Overall it was okay, although I got bored within 30 minutes.
meysam_a's avatar

meysam_a

i enjoyed the film but,
one guy saving the world at last min, clichés clichés clichés, could be WAY better!
Oneironaut's avatar

Oneironaut

Decent. They managed to make something out of perhaps the campiest comic book hero.

However there was the definite feel to the movie that it was just a lead up to the Avengers. Couldn't shake it off.
badblokebob's avatar

badblokebob

There's good bits in it, but it felt too much like someone gave the writers a check list of "bits of mythology you must include" and they struggled to shape a story around including them all. Shame.
dianalovesdali's avatar

dianalovesdali

I don't enjoy too much comic-based movies, but this one rules!
smeggers's avatar

smeggers

A lot of these Marvel movies feel like the prequels they are to the Avengers movie, this one especially so. It better end up being incredibly good after all the hours I've wasted watching these very average lead-up flicks.
Alliha's avatar

Alliha

It's okay. That's about it. I only watched it to catch up with the upcoming "The Avengers"... I was entertained.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

Good movie.
Watch the end, the avengers will be the second best movie in 2012. In first is the dark knight rises
3.5/5
aussieflickfan's avatar

aussieflickfan

Very enjoyable. I do feel sorry for people who might be wanting more. At least they actually made the movie. It may not be up there with the Iron Man or first two X Men films, but it ain't far behind. It has Tommy Lee Jones in it - it can't be all bad.