Counterbalence's avatar

Counterbalence

I didn't see this movie until I was well into my twenties, and of course I'd seen it parodied a million times by then, I'd heard people talk and talk about what a great movie it was. But this is one of those movies that live up to the hype. Even though pop culture had taught me everything there was to know about this movie, I was still moved by it, I was still impressed. I understand why it's such a classic. Masterful movie.
mi-16evil's avatar

mi-16evil

I proposed to my fiancee during this film. So yeah I love it a lot.
stexdo's avatar

stexdo

Fantastic! All the cast gives an amazing performance and the movie holds up even after all the hype that certainly reached you way before seeing it. Bogart was born to play Rick Blaine.
Tiago Costa's avatar

Tiago Costa

Bogey as Rick a bar owner in Casablanca who bumps into an old flame and the sparks fly in this all-time classic tale of true love. Awesome juggler. The monkey from The Hangover 2's grandmonkey. Back shot. Refugee roundup. Goofy Nazis. The doorman at Rick's has a badass hat. Cheerio? The first time you see Bogey. Sneaky Paul Lorre. Sam sure can sing. Flirtatious bartender. True Democrat? Ze Plane! Ze Plane! Real motherfuckers speak clearly with a cigarette in their mouth. Fashion nightmare mustaches. Cash in. Check out. Mr. Neutrality. Symbolic ring. The Forbidden Song. Casablanca is the story of a love triangle and the first time Rick, Iisa, and Victor are together they appear to be standing in a triangle. Broken watch. Sam is the motherfucker and should've been nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Here's looking at your fine ass Ms. Bergman. No questions romance. Fuckin' World War is a bitch. Champagne toast. Great dental work. Dear Richard note. Bogey's eyes. Victor ain't no snitch. Pimpin' pickpocket. Lucky bet. Jolly Carl. Joyful singing. Cafe shutdown. Sometimes the truth really does hurt like a motherfucker. Idle threat. Romantic kissy kissy. The shit we do for love or to win a bet. Bogey trickeration. Does anyone hold a handgun more badass than Bogey? I wish I had memories of Paris. The Captain's finest hour. Beautiful amigos. Casablanca is Hollywood pure cinematic gold. Bogey is perfect. The supporting cast is amazing especially Claude Rains as the Captain and Dooley Wilson as Sam. Zero is wasted. Every scene counts. I can't find a flaw. About as perfect as a film can get.
mrjellow's avatar

mrjellow

Such an amazing script! Absolutely lives up to the hype.
musicguyguy's avatar

musicguyguy

Fascinating intrigue by main character. The movie has you anxiously waiting to see what he'll do next--is he as self-serving as he claims or does he actually have a heart?
The romance is fairly entertaining, but never the focus of the film. Neither actor is all that... easy on the camera lens; we care more about what they're thinking and what their true intentions are.
Casablanca is the brilliantly-told discovery of a man as he is torn between the woman he loves and something that is, perhaps, greater than he.

On a side note, the accents in this film are complete ear candy.
Oriana's avatar

Oriana

We'll always have Paris.
junegoon's avatar

junegoon

Didn't care two hoots for this flick. The only performance I enjoyed was Claude Rains as Renault.
1 year ago
kottonen's avatar

kottonen

This was my second time seeing this film, and I have enjoyed it at least as much: the romance becomes less of a focus though, as the subplots and secondary characters become more of a nuanced revelation. It is a beautiful film, and a Hollywood companion to A Brief Encounter, in that both are delicate war-time pieces about unfulfilled relationship. An absence of a happy ending can still be light and satisfying.

The dialogue is superb, the acting is delightful. The sets bring to mind Indiana Jones and Poirot, rather than reality, but an authenticity is achieved through the plethora of languages and destinies thrown together in Casablanca. I think there are at least five different languages spoken throughout the film.

If Bogart in Big Sleep was a curious case for the attractive male lead, in Casablanca he is positively magnetic. Some of the acting does feel outdated and overdramatic, but the main turns and twists of the picture remain understated, balancing that.

I would like to see more of Ingrid Bergman and to find out who's responsible for that script. I feel like that could be a beginning of a beautiful friendship.
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Simply legendary. Just wow.
Tmeleaaa's avatar

Tmeleaaa

Wonderful script, wonderful acting, and classic.
Marsipaani's avatar

Marsipaani

From now on this is my favourite movie of all time.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

Like many people I had glanced over this film dozens of times in best movie lists and it took me forever to finally watch it. I'm biased because Bogart is my favorite actor but it truly is an enchanting love story with an ending that I think isn't very happy (fairly rare in Hollywood, let's be honest.) There are many emotional tones that can resonate with a variety of people so for me personally I can identify with Bogart's character on that sad, tortured level. That's probably a reason for its success. It's hard to believe when this was released it was just another movie, decades have turned it into the beloved classic it is now.
Sirea's avatar

Sirea

spoiler

Now HERE'S a film that's entirely deserving of its reputation. On the first viewing, what struck me was the crisp dialog, so quotable a lot of it has already passed into the American lexicon. Reviewing through it again, it's the visual story telling that grabbed me, a play of shadows and light, perfect compositions, and meaningful camera moves and angles. Oh and of course, there's the tragic love story set against an exotic backdrop that heralded an Allied victory over Axis forces long before anyone knew WWII could be won. Both Bogart and Bergman offer layered performances, and the latter couldn't be more beautifully shot, though Claude Rains' perfect comic timing as the collaborator Captain Louis Renault is one of my personal highlights, as is the German-French "battle of the bands". This is the kind of film that you don't have to have seen to know all its beats because it's become part of popular culture, but it still managed to surprise me, and it somehow gets better with each successive viewing. I've got "As Time Goes By" stuck in my head in a loop.