frankqb's avatar

frankqb

A painstakingly boring film crafted out of bits of melodrama and the idea of epic scope, rather than an actual epic scope itself. Vangelis' iconic main theme is one of only two bright spots (and the rest of the score is jarringly bizarre for this film) -- the other being the photography which is superb. Chronology is not a pre-requisite for an easy to follow film, but a film that starts at an irrelevant ending and then rushes back to a more relevant one before rushing backward again to tell the story properly is hardly worth spending time on as a film viewer. Not one moment of the races seemed dramatic, and the story had little of value to say beyond a clichéd sense of personal victory.

2 stars out of 4.
jacktrewin's avatar

jacktrewin

hasn't aged well. i can see why it appealed so greatly at the time it was made, but it's far too drawn out, the story is too generically crafted and the dramatic moments don't work well, feeling overdone and yet lacking substance.
4-5/10
Forrester's avatar

Forrester

Ironically, for a movie about running, it's pretty slow. Running is one of my hobbies, so I was really interested in this one. The biggest problem for me is that the main characters weren't interesting at all. The scenes in which they actually run are the best parts of the movie, mainly because of the music by Vangelis. Not a bad film, but I can't say it's good either.
Adamov10's avatar

Adamov10

Worst Oscar Winning Picture of All time. Took me 2 weeks to finish it, sent me to sleep every time I put it on

Will probably be remembered forever for its amazing theme song
L Lawliet's avatar

L Lawliet

It doesn't deserve to be in top 10 lists.
jhhayes's avatar

jhhayes

Not a bad film, although quite dull in some parts.
John Milton's avatar

John Milton

One of the 20 most overrated films according to premiere or empire, forgot which one. I kinda can see why....

It has it's merits, but it's certainly not one of the great movies, in my humble opinion.

@Lisa - What are you saying?
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

I can see where a lot of people have found it to be boring, but I was entranced my it. It has this dreamlike quality to it. The cinematography by David Watkin (who has done great work in movies like The Knack and The Three Musketeers) should have won more awards than it did (the New York Film Critics Circle Award being the one that he did win). Not even a nomination at the Oscars, which that year awarded Vittorio Storaro for Reds. Listen, I love Reds. It's a beautiful movie. But the composition in this movie is stunning. The way colours contrast, like in that scene with the red umbrella, is fantastic. Oh, well. You can't win 'em all.

Like I said, I get the response from other users, but it appealed to me. I enjoyed it immensely.
Torgo's avatar

Torgo

Combines everything I can't stand about sport films, typical Academy Best Pictures and the 80s. Now that's something. Nonetheless, it works somehow as a relic.
tommy_leazaq's avatar

tommy_leazaq

Dull movie but amazing soundtrack..

ps: 800th check.
zmertes's avatar

zmertes

It's surprising to see so many negative comments.

Personally I found this movie to be very inspiring.
TomReagan's avatar

TomReagan

I’m trying to check off all Best Picture winners and this was one I was dreading. It was exactly what I expected - boring. I’m ok with slow-paced films, as long as the story and characters are interesting, but this lacks both. It’s mainly focused on two characters, but then introduces a few others and I can barely tell them apart. Abrahams was the most interesting, mostly because of his claim that him being Jewish proved to be a challenge, but it’s barely shown in the film. The main theme and Ian Holm were the only two things I enjoyed. Felt like the entire movie was in slow motion.
6 months 2 weeks ago
corchap's avatar

corchap

did Moet sponsor this movie?! every other scene features a bottle with the label clearly facing forward.

also-- the presence of Lindsay Anderson as a Cambridge master was a nice touch, especially when they are discussing upperclass expectations
gama_jr's avatar

gama_jr

Boring movie, boring theme.
nadasj's avatar

nadasj

so many characters , so little about their backgrounds .. but it had a good run overall ..