Minamu's avatar

Minamu

As a Lovecraft fan that somehow hasn't read this particular source material, I absolutely loved every minute of it, even though I really should've gone to the bathroom before sitting down lol. My audience seemed to laugh at strange places, maybe I was too caught up in the moment. By the trippy end, I was so into it that I literally lost track of time and my own breathing, wondering what I had been doing the last couple of minutes. Really cool.
10 months 1 week ago
dantheman89's avatar

dantheman89

Decent schlocky B-movie horror, in the mold of Reanimator or The Beyond. Also takes a page from Annihilation/Stalker and a few other things.

The Cons:
- It's a little too long and at one or two points the plot comes to a complete stand still.
- You have to be in the right mindset to enjoy. A midnight screening at a rundown arthouse theater does nicely.''
- The plot is more or less negligible.

The Pros:
- It keeps oscillating between comedy and genuine horror and both work, even though the transitions are a little clunky.
- Spacey visuals. Take an edible and have a field day.
- Plenty practical gore effects.
- Nicholas Cage. Duh. He's spewing dead-pan one-liners every five minutes and the Alpaca milking scene is a work of art.
10 months 1 week ago
DiscoInfiltrator's avatar

DiscoInfiltrator

Saw this at TIFF. The vibe was different than what I was expecting, mostly for the first half of the film. It bounced between comedy, family drama, and horror in a way that just didn't work. The dialogue and pacing wasn't good. There were some good moments though, decent body horror, and Nicolas Cage yelled a lot, so that box was checked if you're looking for that. Overall it was okay, but not as good as Annihilation or Mandy.

Richard Stanley's adaptation of Lovecraft's Color Out of Space, though set in the present day and told in immediate terms (as opposed to someone piecing it together post-hoc), feels pretty true to the original short story. An alien being that is incomprehensible to human senses, essentially a color (is pink scary?) that distorts bodies and minds, hits a family living in the New England boonies, and then crazy stuff starts to happen. There's so much weird stuff in this thing that I don't know if it can all be justified, so some of the happenings seem right out Stephen King's random bag of tricks (a bloody sink?). There's also a teenage girl playing at being a witch and an old caretaker who seems to know what's going on, before the Color even has a chance to arrive. But it creates a textured world that creates investment in what will happen to these people. The most compelling element is that the mom (Joely Richardson) is a cancer survivor, so the film explores the theme of the body's betrayal, and of the family unit as a "body" that can also betray you, the Color's transformations shown in that context. The mom's final fate is also the most effective and disturbing bit of horror. The least compelling thing for me was Nicolas Cage starting out very restrained and likable, and then losing his temper and mind until he became some other movie's Nicolas Cage (from the half you know I mean). This is meant to be the first in a shared universe trilogy, and I'm intrigued to see more. It's very fare for Lovecraft's stories to be adapted so successfully, even if I think they're hardly meant for a visual medium.
4 months 1 week ago
thestuman101694's avatar

thestuman101694

Thank Yog-Sothoth for Nicolas Cage.
5 months 1 week ago
Ronet's avatar

Ronet

Plays like a prog rock concept album. At times it's one of Nic Cage's most laid back performances to date, which ironically makes this one feel more special. Also, that's got to be the most alpacas I've seen in a film.
1 month 3 weeks ago