airi86ja's avatar

airi86ja

Opposition between faith/science was truly realistic. The moral of film was quite clear - you can not deny power of belief. There are so many things in life you can't explain..
I liked the main thought, images, investigations. What a mistery would be to sit in a balcony and watch the stars with your own telescope... - films like this strengthen this dream even more.
Cordolive's avatar

Cordolive

Awesome movie. Acting was great. Loved the plot.

I would put this on my top 10 space list.
Scratch47's avatar

Scratch47

Cerebral, powerful and plausible. One of the best portrayals of rational science meeting mystic faith I've ever seen, with absorbing performances and some powerful set pieces. Highly recommended.
joao.antonio.verdade's avatar

joao.antonio.verdade

A soft sci-fi that challenges the notion of truth through scientific and religious arguments and also the human necessity to find a purpose or meaning in life.

Expect some decorum with the sensitive addressing of the problem, this is Saganesc in my view, although I did not read the book. As for the movie in general, expect a typical sunday hollywood movie exploring family bonds and personal quests, in a good way.

For the performances, Jodie Foster carried the movie and I fully synced with the character.

spoiler
Thief's avatar

Thief

One of my favorites. Very well-acted and directed. The opening scene is breathtaking, and the scene when Ellie listens to the signal for the first time it's very intense.
mightysparks's avatar

mightysparks

Wish the ending hadn't been spoiled by South Park, but still a good movie.
devilsadvocado's avatar

devilsadvocado

Time this was updated. Roger Ebert recently added Contact to his list of greats.
kottonen's avatar

kottonen

Contact (1997) by Robert Zemeckis turned out to be quite a different film from what I expected: celebrated as an intelligent take on the concept of alien life, the movie actually talks very little about alien life.

It is so much more about America, the question what place can religion have in a technologically-evolved society, whether science has the answers, whether there is objective truth — and so on. Contact manages to touch on all those topics without providing any source of stimulating progress or logical thought pattern.

Protagonist Dr. Ellie Arroway (Jodie Foster) starts out as a passionate, highly inquisitive scientist who has devoted her life to establishing contact (hehe) with extraterrestrial life, but, once succeeding, she arrives at 'Well, the world is clearly unknowable, every answer is valid so long as you believe in it.' Do you hear that noise? That is me screaming, as I run into the distance.

The actor credited second (and featured on the poster) is Matthew McConaughey. His character is the worst. The romantic link is forced, Palmer Joss (McConaughey) literally sabotages Dr. Arroway's (Foster) career because he cannot bear to lose her, should she die in the experiment. That is presented as love, not as a successful attempt to take agency away from an adult who, by all accounts, is much more capable than he is.

I wonder if McConaughey's character featured in the original book by Carl Sagan, and if so, what exact role he played.

What Contact succeeds in extremely well, is the representation of the glass ceiling (Dr. Arroway's former boss taking over her research once it is successful, talking over her, representing her as emotionally unstable or morally unsound) and of the American government (who start negotiations on the rights of selling alien technology, as if somehow that is an exclusively American claim; who suppress evidence during a crucial trial etc.). Jodie Foster is rather excellent, and both the intro and the opening are very well done. Too bad the rest of the film does not live up to the beginning.

A tight scientific thriller that makes math exciting! It's a thinker, which has you leave the theater talking about faith vs. science. Well made and acted.
5tarfox's avatar

5tarfox

Main-Cast Duo was a bit strange at first - i think it was a late career movie for jodie and a an early career movie for matthew (those flics he was casted to play the loverboy-role) but one can get used to it..
A good 90s lite-space/sci-fi "first contact" movie of the rational kind - its realistic in most ways maybe except that theres some "it-magic" going on..
Its mainly a "Jodie Foster Movie"..
Maybe a good entree for "Interstellar" - reminded me of the newer "First Contact" Movie "Arrival" where Amy Adams plays a similar role..
spoiler
jutuomin's avatar

jutuomin

Great movie. Only thing that prevents me to like it is that I've read the novel. The novel is just truely amazing and I think the movie makers just changed way too many things to make it entertaining to those who have read it.
Somehow I even wish I haven't read the novel (not really!) so I could enjoy this movie better.
catherinefrances's avatar

catherinefrances

Such a classic 90s film! I loved it, though the script was boring, I felt it dragged on for far too long.
lahiru's avatar

lahiru

I watched a really good movie after a long time
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

Good movie. Jodie Foster was amazing; Matthew McConaughey was cute. Nice story, enjoyed it.
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

Nice movie, it brings different perspectives to the table.
Jodie Foster is fantastic, she is a good actress, Matthew McConaughey is good like William Fichtner.
At one point it seems that the movie it was dragging a bit, but besides that I have no complaints.
3.75/5