frnnd's avatar

frnnd

I really wanted to like this
dpanter's avatar

dpanter

It felt rushed, cramped and forced... like trying to squeeze 20 hours worth of material into 2 hours of film.

Could Burton, Depp and Elfman ever create anything short of magical? No, but it could have been so much more. Take Jonny Lee Miller's role as an example of meaningless filler, he could have been removed from the script entirely. What about Christopher Lee? Talk about wasted potential. The hippies? The town folk? The doctor?
Too many threads going nowhere, being essentially meaningless and merely serving as nails when the points are being hammered into our minds, as if we couldn't understand a more subtle approach.

I do not consider this a family movie, I wish it had been a much darker story without the overly clumsy 'man-out-of-time' attempts at humor.

However! I liked it a lot, despite it's many flaws. Visually gorgeous! Sound, music, visuals, effects, make up, costumes, the entire sets - top notch all round.
johnrobinsonn's avatar

johnrobinsonn

What has happened to Tim Burton? This really was not very good at all; the characters were paper thin and the plot wasn't much better. There were some funny moments that made me laugh and the performances from Eva Green and Johnny Depp were good, but the usually impressive Chloe Moretz was bordering on terrible here. The whole thing just felt very lacklustre.
coalman987's avatar

coalman987

I'd agree with the consensus that it is just okay. The acting was all good and it had moments of good humor. But the plot itself and the pacing all just felt off.
Aissi's avatar

Aissi

Wow, what a flop. There was nothing about this film that was particularly bad, but there was also not a single element that I would consider 'good' or 'well done'. So the overall result is just very mediocre.
The acting was average, the graphics were average, the dialogue was boring, the plot was boring, the attempts at humour were generally unsuccessful.
The only aspect that could possibly have redeemed this film was the impressive cast, but it was completely wasted in a mediocre film.
Not bad, but definitely not good.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

Clearly a dislike. Hate that fact, because the trailer got me interested in the movie and I normally love Johnny Depp - but it was nothing but tedious and really not as funny as I had expected. I vaguely remember some nice shots and ideas, but all in all I did not like it.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Fun movie with Depp & Eva Green in fine form, but movie is let down by a weak third chapter and too many characters with underdeveloped storylines. They come and dissapear throughout the movie. But some funny scenes and great production design and music score
DJPowWow's avatar

DJPowWow

It has its funny moments, but overall it's pretty disappointing. Sad to say I've gotten used to being disappointed by Tim Burton in the past few years.
BeasleyOnFilm's avatar

BeasleyOnFilm

A little bit too weird to be good, but it certainly has very entertaining moments. Johnny Depp and Eva Green are good in it, whilst Chloe Grace Moretz is deeply irritating and Michelle Pfeiffer is a complete non-entity.

Far from the best of Burton.
L MuMu's avatar

L MuMu

Nice movie.
RoKDM's avatar

RoKDM

Prime example of something going badly wrong.
Surprisingly bad for Tim B, and for the number of people who were in it.
There are light films and deep films and films for kids and films for adults, but this was bland even for the seemingly children-oriented plotline, which incidentally was ruined by poorly timed inappropriate references... Not sure what it was supposed to be really.

One redeeming point, perhaps the affects were good. If this had been some kind of ride at a theme park I feel it would have had much better reviews, but alas this was supposed to be a feature length move, and they were a slight waste. A lot of people saying it was neither good nor bad, but when you spend so much time and money on something it turns out like that it has to be a failure, no?
radibioinfo's avatar

radibioinfo

Please don't make a sequel...
sparsparf's avatar

sparsparf

I was bored during.. well, almost every part of this film. There were no surprises at any point and the disgustingly moving and talking characters (talking about some women here) and odd lighting/colour choices (among with other things I'm not very fond of) distracted me from the main plot - which wasn't very convincing itself. But sure, if it hadn't been so much out of my taste I could have enjoyed it. It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't a movie I enjoy watching.
Camille Deadpan's avatar

Camille Deadpan

Eva Green is one mean female dog and she moves her head rather strangely. :o But she has really nice hair and make up.
I must say although I don't like what Burton makes that this movie is not bad. Actually along with his Batman movies, Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow I find it to be quite okay.
HEMA's avatar

HEMA

Great start, decent middle, poor ending