beeswax's avatar

beeswax

Finding beauty and goodness even in surroundings of death, despair and corruption? Committing yourself to acts of kindness in the face of your own doubts about faith, as both the knight and the squire argue and practice? How is that wallowing in nihilism? Poor aneic.
Timec's avatar

Timec

aneic - Except that the film isn't nihilistic, nor is it preaching nihilism (in fact, very little, if any art is nihilistic, and nothing by Bergman comes close to qualifying for the label.) It does present various crises of faith, brought about by some intensely bleak situations - but characters such as the husband and wife performers (and their infant son) are integral to the film's viewpoint, and serve as a refutation to the squire's somewhat (but not entirely) nihilistic statements.
Mackmannen's avatar

Mackmannen

Max von Sydow man of greatness!
Batnobbit's avatar

Batnobbit

The ending was truly beatuiful
Thief's avatar

Thief

Not as good as I expected. Had an interesting premise and some good stuff scattered around, but the end result wasn't great.
pavan2185's avatar

pavan2185

The movie definitely rekindled thoughts I used to have in my early twenties or late teens about God and why he doesn't do anything about the suffering and pain in this world and there by doubting his existence. This movie is thought provoking at places but I didn't not enjoy watching this movie as much as I did watching Persona.

It's very weird watching Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal after his version of Death has been parodied in so many well-remembered comedies (a wide range, from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey to Last action Hero), and then discovering that, for all the hoopla about the terse Waiting Women being Bergman's one comedy, this is actually QUITE funny, if darkly so. The bit with Death cutting down a tree, and Gunnar Björnstrand's caustic squire commenting on the smith and his wife making up, had me grinning in what is otherwise an existential and metaphysical piece about whether or not there's an afterlife and what it might mean to Max von Sydow's crusader. You can't outplay Death, but maybe you can draw the game out long enough to make a difference with the Man Upstairs, all the while questioning whether he exists at all and if it's all pointless. The witch burning scene struck me as something of a riposte to Dreyer's Passion of Joan of Arc, its implications more disquieting. Despite some dark material, quite a bit more fun than most Bergman films, I still prefer his more subtle and actor-driven meditations on the subject of God's silence (Winter's Light strikes me as the most powerful).
Rdgz_Dust_Speck's avatar

Rdgz_Dust_Speck

@george4mon Yes, it's available. Criterion Collection.
george4mon's avatar

george4mon

does anyone know if this is available with subtitles?
rwj's avatar

rwj

I've put off seeing this movie for so long think I would hate it, but it was very different thatn expected and the story kept me watching... All in all a good movie
David Giancarlo's avatar

David Giancarlo

What Thief said.
fetzu's avatar

fetzu

Didn't like it, I'll give it another shot in a few (dozen) years..
Bruks Lima's avatar

Bruks Lima

Muito bom, cheio de referências interessantes.
Cundurs's avatar

Cundurs

Overall disappointing. You can definitely talk more about it that see it and in my opinion that is not what movies are about, that's what books are about but even as a book it would be quite simple. There is nothing new in it, nothing intelligent people haven't thought about. It even doesn't give an answer of some sort, that at least would be some kind of closure. It was just a life, not even an interesting part of it.
But I did like the quote on love :"Love is the blackest of all plagues."