charliearcore's avatar

charliearcore

Doctor Strange 2, aka spoiler
1 month 3 weeks ago
Shazaaaam's avatar

Shazaaaam

This felt more like a grab bag of good Sam Raimi bits than a coherent movie. It's very busy and often entertaining, but for me, lacked the suspense of caring much about the characters or outcome. "Important" new character America Chavez was very bland and passive, and I was disappointed that spoiler.
1 month 3 weeks ago
neko's kat's avatar

neko's kat

I read somewhere that if you watched Everything Everywhere All At Once then Multiverse of Madness will be underwhelming. And it's true :(
1 month ago
Paravail's avatar

Paravail

If you haven't seen Wandavision you'll be pretty lost.
1 month 3 weeks ago
chunkylefunga's avatar

chunkylefunga

Opening scene just didn't make sense if sling rings exist.

Then you have a bizarre and pretty pointless villian. Like ago we get you wanted to milk a tv series first, but that storyline was done, can we please just have a proper storyline and not a weird mess with a laughable villain with laughable reasoning.

Sam clearly had no idea what to do with these characters and basically tried to write a pg horror movie without suceeding.
4 days 13 hours ago
CodeV's avatar

CodeV

+ Director Sam Raimi, some fresh blood added to the Marvel Universe
+ You can see multiple horror movie elements and references
+ The complicated Multiverse story is surprisingly easy to follow and understand

- Do we really need all this Multiverse stuff?
- Easy to kill a bunch of loved characters if those are not "real" but from other Multiverse
1 month 1 week ago
baraka92's avatar

baraka92

I enjoyed the last 20-30 minutes, when Raimi's style gets the spotlight and found Olsen to be genuinely good (with what she had). Aside from that...

Is Marvel/Disney really expecting everybody to watch 7+ hours of a TV show to fully understand what's going on here? Well, apparently not, since many are already complaining about the undoing of Wanda's arc from Wandavision. So, people who didn't see it (like me) are feeling lost and the ones that did, hate what became of her. What the hell are they doing? Also, the fact that spoiler

A lot of references and cameos... because it's a Marvel film and you know the drill. The whole multiverse thing has open the door for infinite possibilities but ironically every single one of them will feel meaningless. Why should I care if a character dies or if they tell me a whole universe has been destroyed? spoiler Just before the movie, I saw the trailer for Everything Everywhere Everywhere All at Once and that seems to get it right instead of just being an arbitrary thing.

Sam Raimi is by far the most legit director that has worked in these movies and even he got watered down. He felt less than director and more like a topping. Look just for the ending and that's it. The rest is as disposable as ever. I saw No Way Home because of the hype... on TV and I saw this because of Raimi. I'm officially done. I really wish I could see a universe in which the MCU never left Paramount.
1 month 2 weeks ago

We were warned that it was gonna go the way of horror, but I was still sandbagged by how far Sam Raimi took it in Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness. Shows how much we've become used to the MCU house style that I'm giving Doctor Strange 2 Multiversal Boogaloo points just for breaking the mold, though Raimi's style is really at odds with the formula. When Raimi is doing crazy macabre stuff, riffs on classic horror movies, or straight up giving us Deadites, it's great. When he throws in superhero elements, the shocking violence is jarring. But that's a Raimiesque thing too, so I'm not too sore about it. It's definitely a good time to ask whether it's a good idea for the MCU to set up movies with TV shows, because I do think the movie takes a real shortcut by putting all of the villain's motivations in a show, which harms the film AS A FILM, if not AS A CHAPTER in a huge story. Truth be told, WandaVision and What If? were easier to bring up in my mind than the first Doctor Strange movie (I guess that watch stuff was important...?). So is this a negative review? Not at all. Despite the preceding caveats, I thought this was a lot of fun. Raimi fans will no doubt get their due more than strict MCU audiences, but there are a lot of great gags (the Multiversal ones WOULD seem fresher if Everything Everywhere All at Once hadn't cut Doctor Strange off at the pass), and unlike the first film, the magic looks like magic, not like an Inception fan fiddling with fractals. We had a very responsive theater, with teenage girls very invested in the Strange-Christine relationship, and expressive fanboys allowing themselves to be surprised as references and cameos. A lot of fun surprises throughout as things get more and more insane. And friends, an we all agree that the MCU has now done the Phoenix Saga and we don't need to retell it with the X-Men once they join the family? Thanks.
1 month 3 weeks ago
DrowwGuty's avatar

DrowwGuty

It's... Strange
1 month 3 weeks ago
Marlow101's avatar

Marlow101

The movie was okay, felt odd because I watched Everything, Everywhere, All at Once and these movies are very similar. Once handles the multiverse better than the other, you decide.
1 month 3 weeks ago