TomReagan's avatar

TomReagan

Loved this. Hilarious. Tons of heart. No cliche downfall of the Star, just a fun ride. The cast is great, Eddie is at his best, but Wesley Snipes stood out the most for me. Highly recommend.
2 months 3 weeks ago
Duval Spit's avatar

Duval Spit

Come for the Eddie Murphy comeback;
Stay for the Wesley Snipes comeback.
2 months 2 weeks ago
hannark's avatar

hannark

A wholesome, feel-good delight.

It's such a shame this film will be overshadowed by dull, overwrought and award-vehicle bio-pics in the coming months. I hope I'm wrong, as this is the film that shows the genre can be great too.
2 months ago
GodPepper's avatar

GodPepper

Such a wholesome, entertaining movie, both goofy and real, it hits the right spots. Loved it from beginning to end.
2 months 1 week ago
WanderingSoul's avatar

WanderingSoul

Not much to this, but it’s charming and lively and gives Eddie Murphy a (distressingly rare) opportunity to prove he has absolutely still got it
1 day 13 hours ago
Michael31's avatar

Michael31

A movie with tons of heart. A true return to form for Eddie Murphy, and great performances by the supporting cast as well. It reminds me a lot of the Disaster Artist, but to be honest I found this film to be even better. I wish this movie got more awards love, but oh well. If you love movies/the movie making process, and you love feel good stories, this one’s for you.
1 day 20 hours ago

Eddie Murphy stages something of a comeback with Dolemite Is My Name, a funky biopic tracing Rudy Ray Moore's rise to fame, devoting a large part of the film to his making the cult hit movie Dolemite. Though wanting to be a star for its own sake is not necessarily a motivation I can tap into, but Moore's do-it-yourself attitude is. I'm very much a do-it-yourselfer, and would rather self-publish than go to a proper publishing house (for example). That's just how I came up in the world. Nobody trusts in Moore, so he has to show them what he can do, and surprisingly became a comedy sensation (potty-mouthed comedians and rappers both owe him a debt of gratitude), and then felt he needed to put his on-stage persona on the big screen. Enter: Dolemite, the Movie. Here the film takes a long detour into Ed Wood territory. Moore has a lot of enthusiasm, but no skills, which makes for an amusing story. I'd imagine watching the inept Dolemite AFTER this will give it a warm glow it wouldn't normally have. This movie has cool blaxploitation feel and will make you want to explore that genre (my education can only be called partial on this), though I don't really think it's all that penetrating as an exploration of its subject.
2 weeks 2 days ago