cfish80's avatar

cfish80

Kind of overrated, but I liked it. Nice casting, beautiful cinematography, hypnotic soundtrack.
pramodc84's avatar

pramodc84

Check out shot compositions for this movie by Tony Zhou -
Drive (2011) - The Quadrant System

You might want to watch movie again!
Floor Man's avatar

Floor Man

As a photographer, 'Drive' made sweet love to my eyeballs! AWESOME style—acting is phenomenal, and the direction's great. The tonality was a tiny bit jarring every now and then, but a great film of this decade of cinema. Rough around the edges, sure, but undoubtedly a must-watch.
vonk76's avatar

vonk76

I put off watching it because of all the hate. I shouldn't have, it was amazing. The soundtrack was great. All shots were really well thought out and perfect. Pacing was perfect. The tension building and snappy unexpected violence at times.. just wow. The unbelievability of the mobster ties and the surreal way characters acted and spoke only added to the quality.
Awescillot's avatar

Awescillot

Brilliant movie.

I've read the book too (by James Sallis), but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The book was just terrible. None of the things that made the movie into what it is, can be found in there. Hossein Amini however, who wrote the screenplay, did a hell of a job and really set the tone. Winding Refn showed he can deliver a great movie, and he added certain things that really complement the story (however not present in the screenplay).

8.5/10, hands down.
sammysin's avatar

sammysin

And a real heeeero.
dondyarizona's avatar

dondyarizona

I found the theme and melancholia of this film had striking resemblance with Kim Jee-woon's A Bittersweet Life. You know, the coolest guy, a brief encounter with the pretty girl, lead to bloody revenge.
Anyway what a film. If you love the music, I know I do. Go check Symmetry's Themes for an Imaginary Film. A two and a half hour instrumental project by Johnny Jewel, the original guy Winding Refn and Gosling wanted to do the score.
sanstarks's avatar

sanstarks

The cinematography in this film is stunning and the acting is just superb. I don't know why it took me so long to watch this, it's just perfection. And yes, the soundtrack oh god, this movie, personally, can't go wrong.
Zorobay's avatar

Zorobay

I can not, for even a minute, recall any even slightly boring moments of this movie! The soundtrack is just spot on, the acting is great and it gave me one of the most real feelings any movie has ever given me. I just felt very, very alive after watching it.
MrDoog's avatar

MrDoog

Rare that you see any movie polarise people's opinions the way Drive has but I am most certainly a fan.

Many criticised the pace early on, I was completely hooked from the first minute.
Gosling manages to convey more with a single look than most actors manage with an entire monologue. I've heard a few criticisms of his performance / style in this one which I cannot understand, I think those people are mad. He plays the anti-hero, he's a character we haven't really seen much in Hollywood before. His approach is "less is more", which he does perfectly and it works.
Cranston, Mulligan, Brooks, Perlman - great cast who were all superb.
Excellent soundtrack which gave the film a unique style.
I cannot say enough good things about this movie, I just loved the story, the feel and the originality which left me craving more and having just heard the author, James Sallis has released a sequel, I hope to hell Refn brings it to the big screen.

Worth watching a second time too, as you might pick up on a few subtleties you may have missed first time around.
peggypotts's avatar

peggypotts

What made this film work for me (as a person who doesn't typically enjoy crime/thriller films) is the slow buildup of tension/violence, so that the film starts slow (slow does not mean boring) and then the intensity heightens and heightens until you're watching with bated breath. Great acting and cinematography, great attention to atmosphere. It's just a really, really well put together film.
ReVision's avatar

ReVision

I really loved it, liked the overal style en also the soundtrack is great.
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

Strong performances by Gosling and Albert Brooks, a synth-heavy score and a dialogue-sparse script carry Drive from an average action flick to a film that makes you think. The bloody and vicious violence is accented by the otherwise quiet scenes that make up most of Drive's 1h 40m running time. This is a tense, edge-of-your seat crime/action film with a car chase scene to rival The French Connection's infamous chase.

Is the film a bit overrated? Perhaps, the tiniest bit, yes. But, nonetheless very cool? Totally.
The Fable Muncher's avatar

The Fable Muncher

Winding-Refn's excellent and stylish direction make Drive a must-see film. However, once the third act starts it becomes clear that all that style, although delivering a unique experience, also serves to hide the film's generic and lazy plot.

Gosling's characterization is the highlight, giving the nameless lead character the right amount of mystery and danger to make him one hell of a compelling figure. Give it a few decades and the Driver will eventually become an iconic character akin to Travis Bickle.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Great movie, with an 80's, Michael Mann feel.......all the stars are excellent....just the ending could be a little bit stronger......but for me one of the best movies of 2011