GodPepper's avatar

GodPepper

Why is not this film in the comedy list? I laughed my ass off. Actual comedies are sort of crap compared with this.
wetwillies's avatar

wetwillies

So brilliant. Makes me extremely anxious to see more and more Marx!
Groovy09's avatar

Groovy09

Think the message is pretty clear. War is stupid
jfortune's avatar

jfortune

My first Marx Brothers movie, and I wasn't expecting a whole lot, since comedies this old usually don't make me laugh a lot. Damn, I was impressed. I actually laughed out loud many times throughout this movie, and I don't do that often. Definitely recommended.
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

I didn't know it was possible to put this many jokes and gags in a 70min movie.
One minute of this movie contains more effective jokes than The Hangover in its entirety (yes, I hate that movie).

Duck Soup may not be the best comedy, it doesn't come close to To Be Or Not To Be (1942), but it's still one of the funniest movies.
TravisSMcClain's avatar

TravisSMcClain

It's hard to really judge something like this because comedy has evolved from, and built on, trailblazers like this. I found that the dialog based humor was still fairly sharp, but the physical gags dragged on too long for my taste.
devilsadvocado's avatar

devilsadvocado

Ok, I've satisfied my yearly quota of puns.
Duval Spit's avatar

Duval Spit

I love this movie, but I don't understand why it is regarded as their best.
Horse Feathers is tighter, A Night At The Opera holds together better as a plot, and frankly, I don't find it to be nearly as deep a satire as some do.
Again,
I am a fan of the Marx Brothers, and I always enjoy watching this movie,
but it comes in on my list at #4.
Windill's avatar

Windill

I didn't laugh one single time, and I found the actors annoying.
The gags are just lame, some of them sexist.
And it's not because it's old. Chaplin's silent movie are older, hilarious and fascinating.
This one just sucks.
Princess_Of_Snails's avatar

Princess_Of_Snails

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this movie is actually very funny despite its age. I found it much more enjoyable than some of the modern comedy movies I've seen from recent years.
mrm2541's avatar

mrm2541

way too overrated
John U's avatar

John U

The mirror gag is well done, but the rest is amazingly unfunny.
Watch it, then think twice about movie recommendations from people who rate it a "Favorite".
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Definitely this made the audience of the 30's laugh their pants off, but all those jokes have been repeated by many for some many years, that they don't affect anymore.. It's good to know who invented them! And I really liked to see this movie because all classic Looney Tones and Hanna Barbera jokes are there!! The mirror duplicate, the walking behind others like shadow, and many more!!
seithscott's avatar

seithscott

Very funny, and it was cool to see probably the first time the mirror gag was used.
dombrewer's avatar

dombrewer

I'm with the negatives. An almost entirely laugh free experience. My first Marx Brothers movie - and very likely my last.