E. T. Blunt's avatar

E. T. Blunt

The payoff doesn't quite work for me, but I enjoyed every minute of it nonetheless.
6 months 3 weeks ago
DaniloFreiles's avatar

DaniloFreiles

La locandina ha spoilerato.
Alquanto irrealistico. Senza risposte. spoiler
ikkegoemikke's avatar

ikkegoemikke

“The last thing you need is meeting strange men in hotel rooms.”

image

“Enemy“. Directed by Denis Villeneuve and Jake Gyllenhaal in a leading role (or roles). Hell yeah ! The director and one of the protagonists of “Prisoners” . This has to be be an excellent movie since I’ve put “Prisoners” in my personal top 10 of reasonable brilliant movies in 2013. This was a slightly incorrect assumption

A few tips before you watch this bizarre and very strange movie.

Don’t call the electronics shop, where you recently purchased your ultramodern 55″ LED TV, in a panic and don’t start screaming at the helpdesk employee because the RGB color settings are severely screwed up and they need to replace the unit immediatly. Trust me, the color palette that you get to see on your TV the entire movie, is fine. It’s as if you are exploring a coffee-colored land full of yellow , beige and (probably spider excrement) brownish hues. At times I thought I was still wearing my Boss sunglasses with slightly tinted glasses still. Also, are you having a period of persistent sleeping disorder and you need benzodiazepines with the annoying side effect of feeling sleepy during the day, then I don’t recommend this movie. Because it’s painfully slow. And finally don’t watch it if you don’t like movies where you say “Huh!” at the end and you frantically start googling forums and wikipedia-pages to find any explanation about the movie.

But are you a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal ? Then you’ll surely don’t want to miss this one, because he plays even two personages in it. Or one ? And when you’re not into movies with a straightforward , predigested and terribly simplistic storyline, but rather a complicated movie with a maze of possible storylines and plausible explanations , this is really a must see for you.
Adam is a slightly neurotic teacher who’s teaching about dictatorial regimes and how they maintain control over people by applying certain strategies. And more important (probably an exam question) it’s a pattern that repeats itself throughout history. After a suggestion of a colleague, he rents a movie one evening and sees to his surprise his exact image acting in this film. What follows is a complicated voyage of discovery. You’ll be wondering the whole movie whether there are indeed two persons or that these two individuals are fused together into a schizophrenic person with apparently an identity disorder .

It wasn’t a totally confusing story for me. I took into account that Adam might possibly have some psychological problems. The behavior and phenomena that were shown like regular headaches (frequently depicted), mood swings, sexual dysfunction (his girlfriend gave up after the third attempt) and lose sight of the time, were an indication. The used metaphors at the end were also evident. This was in my opinion nothing more than leaving the past behind in a psychological way and starting fresh in the present.

Jake Gyllenhaal plays an excellent character role. The acting of Sarah Gadon was at times simply breathtaking brilliant. The look on her face as she glances at Adam and you clearly can see the suspicion and confusion appear on her face, is simply masterful. The film editing was sometimes really ingeniously worked out. Stopping and restarting images at the rhythm of the music. The delusions were sometimes quite hallucinatory. The perverse beginning gave you immediately a sinister feeling. Applying Adam’s teaching material (about the patterns and the repeating) on reality, so that recurrent sequences were used in the beginning, was ingenious. Also, the ending is a compound with the beginning. If you think about it more deeply you’ll notice it’s a well-crafted movie.

And yet it it left me indifferent. For me it’s just a movie to spawn “the experts” of the better movie and give them something to entertain (as the Romans did with the common people) so they can analyze the different layers of this film and discuss it in detail. For me, it was a slow and boring movie with a straightforward story in which eventually someone wants to leave his “cheating days” behind him. I love a well-prepared mind fuck, but in this movie I was like, “Yeah guys tell me the denouement so I finally know how it fits together.” And this already fairly early in the movie. Too bad, if you look at the acting performance of Gyllenhaal.

More reviews here
royalspikey77's avatar

royalspikey77

left a big smile on my face at the end... nicely done
RockHopper92's avatar

RockHopper92

As bizarre as this movie is. What's stranger is that it's based on a book called The Double written by Jose Saramago in 2002. Another movie was made the same year (2013) with an identical premise as this directed by Richard Ayoade called The Double which is also based on a book of the same name, but written over a century early by a different author.

I don't know if that's all a happy coincidence or if this was planned for some reason. At the end of the day, however, I enjoyed The Double by Ayoade more.

An introspective film based on Portuguese writer José Saramago's The Double starring Jake Gyllenhaal as both a listless history professor and his double, an actor the former finds in various bit parts on DVDs. Bizarre and ambiguous, Enemy owes as much to Kafka as it does to magical realism, with just a hint of Guillermo del Toro, a fable about identity and intimacy and how we might hate parts of ourselves. I don't want to say too much because ambiguity is a big part of this, and in any case, I still had questions at the end. I wish I'd watched it with other people. It's that kind of film. And lovely to see Toronto play itself - it's so rare - even as a smoggy dreamscape
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Extremely well acted but very strange movie will have you puzzling all the way through. If you like weird and confusing movies than is the one for you. For me it was just........well ok. That ending......wtf......so now what....
Yousef Mousa's avatar

Yousef Mousa

the ending !
MoutardedShroom's avatar

MoutardedShroom

this movie fucked my brain just in the right way. also, getting to decipher it afterwards just adds to the enjoyment...
rociwi's avatar

rociwi

WTF
Larkspire's avatar

Larkspire

Interesting concept, but even with the metaphor explanation, it still plateaus before, disappointingly, fizzling away into nothing.

And normally I'm all for beautiful colour schemes, but the yellow here quickly grew from interesting to oppressing, and not in a good way (in my humble opinion etc etc).
Armoreska's avatar

Armoreska

Video analysis
Jazzy's avatar

Jazzy

This one got me stumped.
greenhorg's avatar

greenhorg

Here's my theory: spoiler

Although its based on a book, so this is probably all demonstrably wrong.
maxdbn's avatar

maxdbn

Biggest 'WTF' moment of my life.