hippo's avatar

hippo

Underrated! Awesome.

Equilibrium is one of those grand dystopias like Farenheit 451, 1984 and Gattaca - and it may remind you of any of these - but it has its own message. In the world of Equilibrium, emotion has been outlawed, and agents known as Clerics are tasked with finding those who aren't taking their meds and destroying the emotion-inducing works of art they hoard. Christian Bale is perhaps the best Cleric that's ever been, but when he misses a dose by accident and starts to feel, he turns against the regime. So it's about self-medication and desensitization, and while I wouldn't call it an iconic SF masterpiece, it is at least a solid entry in the genre. The marketing seems more geared towards action fans, and it does have some of the sweetest gun fu I've ever seen.
MathianSim's avatar

MathianSim

Poor Sean Bean
uritibon's avatar

uritibon

Gun Kata cracked me up... it's weird to think that this movie is pretty good actually.
samfenn's avatar

samfenn

Movie wouldn't have been much without Bale, not particularly memorable though I did like it.
BigAwesomeBLT's avatar

BigAwesomeBLT

Equilibrium didn't mess with my head as much as The Matrix did, but did give me the same feeling that is missing from more recent films.
Certainly better than the matrix sequels.
The gun action is amazing and really carries the film.
I also loved all the sci-fi landscapes, that manage to not look too dated.
A great entry in the sci-fi genre.
zombies4ever's avatar

zombies4ever

Enjoyable sci-fi flick. 1984/Logan's Run-ish.
Paravail's avatar

Paravail

An underrated action classic! Borrows a bit too heavily from The Matrix in terms of style, but a damn entertaining film in its own right.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

Where the Matrix is a dedicated film series, this is a one-off kind of film in the same vein. Who'd have thought it would become such a cult classic. It might be a bit dumb, but it's a lot of fun and despite being called out as a clone of the Matrix it has its own story and the action sequences are pretty cool.
Alliha's avatar

Alliha

I'm not sure what to think of this movie. Bale performed really well and carries the movie, but some times the story seems rushed and characters just disappear until they're important again.

The fight scenes feels overdone, but it's a huge selling point as they are quite entertaining. The plot is pretty neat though, and one can quickly see similarities to 1984.

I would recommend you watch this if you're in the mood, not a must watch.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

I really liked this movie. I think it's a great topic and it was nicely explored.

I constantly feel and think extremely much, maybe too much, about everything from the current day's events to a song, story, painting or movie or person that touches me or that feels special... so for me it's always extremely hard to imagine how a society can see any value in a life without emotions, no matter how many bad emotions could be avoided or how much security could be improved.

There was an alarming atmosphere throughout the film and some scenes were great - I loved the very beginning where Sean Bean recited the poem, I would have liked him to get a lot more screen time. Beautiful.
VETTE1's avatar

VETTE1

Terrible movie, with some of the most laughable fight scenes I have scene. I don't understand all the love for it.
halftome's avatar

halftome

I loved this movie. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if someone thinks its better than the matrix, it's their oppinion. I prefer the matrix, I enjoyed it a lot more. But this movie is good too.
akuma587's avatar

akuma587

Christian Bale is the man.
Toastinator's avatar

Toastinator

Not necessarily a bad concept, but really bad execution.
The action and plot was awful but Christian Bale's performance was great as usual.
8 months 2 weeks ago