Pratsy's avatar

Pratsy

The name's Plissken.
caley's avatar

caley

Truly excellent movie. One of the most fun I've ever seen. Keep 2 things in mind while watching it: "These sets are soooo good" and "C'mon, Isaac Hayes is the bad guy and drives a car with lamps welded onto the hood, how can it possibly be bad?"
MetalMagnum's avatar

MetalMagnum

Underwhelming dialogue, but Carpenter's dark style in post-apocalyptic New York shines through well. Interesting set designs and one fantastically memorable car.

John Carpenter's Escape from New York has a strong hook, efficiently setting up its world where Manhattan is a prison in the far-flung future of 1997, and Kurt Russell's iconic Snake Plissken is a cool, badass urban version of Mad Max trying to get to the unscrupulous president of the USA whose plane was shot down over New York. But Carpenter's action is so limply directed that he almost immediately drops the ball. The movie is sluggish, the music doesn't support the action, and the action beats are either confusing or failed to get this viewer's heart rate up. Take the bit where Snake is driving a car through Broadway, something supposedly dangerous, but it's a slow crawl as gang bangers ineffectually throw bricks at the car... The star power in this flick just barely keeps it afloat at times, and the dark cynical ending is strong, but another pass through an editing suite might actually have been needed. I was expecting more from this cult classic.
fonz's avatar

fonz

The best Metal Gear Solid movie we'll ever get
John Milton's avatar

John Milton

It was ok I guess, mindless fun if you don't take it seriously
Zeltaebar's avatar

Zeltaebar

It took me three viewings until this movie really started to talk to me. Sure, I appreciated bits and pieces the first time around, but all the pieces did not fall into place until my third attempt. This movie oozes atmosphere and style like few others. Carpenter squeezes every drop out of his limited budget and fleshes out a post-apocalyptic vision so intriguing and cool that it is difficult to look away from the scenery, even when important stuff is going down. The production value is outstanding and a perfect match to Carpenter's gloomy and minimalistic synth score. The story is pure escapist fun and populated with facinating characters from beginning to end, boasting acting legends such as Lee Van Cleef and Ernest Borgnine, excellent character actors such as Harry Dean Stanton and Donald Pleasence as well as the sexy Adrienne Barbeau, the showy Isaac Hayes and one of the most iconic performances ever commited to the big screen by Kurt Russell as the enigmatic Snake Plissken. It all comes togheter wonderfully, but it might take several viewings to fully appreciate the quality on display here.
nick8493's avatar

nick8493

Truly mediocre movie. One of the most average I've ever seen. Keep 2 things in mind while watching it: "This is okay" and "Kurt Russell's pretty cool I guess".
DonkeysRAliens's avatar

DonkeysRAliens

Truly wonderful movie. One of the best I've ever seen. Keep 2 things in mind while watching it: "This is awesome" and "Didn't John Carpenter use to be good"
Javivergarab's avatar

Javivergarab

This is the "best worst" movie i've ever seen
senorspitler's avatar

senorspitler

Escape from New York, probably the most poignant sci - fi movie out there. It shows a dystopian, legalistic future where almost everybody's a "criminal", now a prevalent theme in today's movies. But it is a good movie by our action standards. But I wasn't really a fan of Kurt Russell's performance, until the end.
porscheguy19's avatar

porscheguy19

Truly horrible movie. One of the worst I've ever seen. Keep 2 things in mind while watching it: "I thought you were dead" and "in Leningrad".
ClassicLady's avatar

ClassicLady

Crap movie. All killing and blood. Kurt Russell running around like he can save the world. I hardly think so! This kind of violence is the reason why I DO NOT like modern movies.