peterskb45's avatar

peterskb45

Were my high expectations met? No, they were exceeded.
2 months 2 weeks ago
devilsadvocado's avatar

devilsadvocado

I went into this one expecting to enjoy it because 1) I thought the trailer was wild 2) I love unconventional storytelling, 3) the Daniels seem to share my sense of humor, and 4) the overwhelming good reviews.

But oh, how let down I was...

I'm still trying to wrap words around why I disliked this movie so much. As much as I am a fan of weird, out-there, complex and unconventional movies, without grounded storytelling to make the emotional content accessible I'm unable to come along for the ride.

I think this movie was just the Daniels trying to force a concept and a bunch of weird ideas and jokes but not being able to form an organic and compelling narrative around them.

So, visually awesome, super creative, and sometimes funny but a flimsy narrative that failed to hook me (or my two theater companions).
1 month 2 weeks ago

The strangest and most wonderful costumes AND the strangest and most wonderful fight scenes you'll see this year (possibly, ANY year), Everything Everywhere All at Once also has the most appropriate title of the year. The Swiss Army Man directors have done it again, only more so, and pretty much beaten all the multiversal superhero movies that are about to come out in the process. Michelle Yeoh is great as an overwhelmed (remember that word, it's one of the over-arching metaphors) laundry owner whose destiny may be to stop a powerful force from destroying all possible worlds. And while Yeoh can of course still do action and the movie fits the kung fu category, she can only win by providing an alternative (to save alternate worlds, natch) to nihilism. Help and hindrance are given by the likes of the ubiquitous James Hong, a very funny Jamie Lee Curtis, and Short Round himself, Ke Huy Quan. Everyone is amazing, especially Yeoh, and the film is extremely clever, blazingingly original, gorgeous to look at (and one day, freeze-frame), at times outrageously blue, and surprisingly poignant. Guys, we have an early front-runner for my favorite film of the year.
2 months 2 weeks ago
Dyoshwa10's avatar

Dyoshwa10

A better multiverse film than Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
1 month 1 week ago
wloper's avatar

wloper

Inventive, thrilling, creative, emotional, and every other adjective you can think of applies to this rollercoaster of a movie. Simply a joy from start to finish. And that Ke Huy Quan, boy can he act!! Hope to see him in much more.
2 months 3 weeks ago
baraka92's avatar

baraka92

Man! I haven't been this disappointed in a while.

I'll start with something positive. Michelle Yeoh is amazing, but my MVP is Ke Huy Quan. Both deserve nothing but praise though.

I was onboard with this movie. The first hour is a blast! The concept, the characters, the story and the humor blend perfectly. But you can get too much of a good thing. This is another case of ADD filmaking ala Michel Gondry. It's no coincidence that him and the Daniels started their careers doing music videos. Cool tricks and stuff are entertaining for 3-4 minutes but for 2+ hours it becomes tiresome.

My main problems were two big ones. First, the humor. The movie throws you a talking raccoon, sausage fingers, googly eyes, b*tt plugs, dildos, a weapon dog, etc. It's kinda funny at first but by the 10th quirky thing it becomes boring; and it gets worse when these elements start to get in the way of the most emotional scenes. I mean, it's an extreme example but there's a reason why you don't see a pie in the face in the middle of Schindler's List. Let the emotion be, dammit!
All this while the movie also gives you and endless string of fights. Again, fun at first...

Second, the message. The familly stuff and the end was touching but on a bigger level, I don't buy its antidote to nihilism. I personally don't believe it, but in the meaningless universe of the film, between the bagel (eye roll) and "be kind" I see no difference. Everything ends up in the same place... so why would anyone care. It's pretty much Camus' Sisyphus which I always took as a cop out.

So, Everything Everywhere All at Once? Indeed! And it's quite numbing.
1 week 3 days ago
Cynicus Rex's avatar

Cynicus Rex

I probably love this film in another universe.
3 weeks ago
MissSourBabe's avatar

MissSourBabe

Raccacoonie
3 weeks ago
malachiwarren's avatar

malachiwarren

In a parallel universe, I probably adore this movie.
Love, words from letters.
2 days 6 hours ago
Jeepy's avatar

Jeepy

All the drugs in the world pale in comparaison to this movie. Loved it. A must watch.
2 weeks 5 days ago
PimDerks1985's avatar

PimDerks1985

I was expecting something totally different based on the premise. Hadn't seen the trailer either. It started of pretty good, but it was way too long in my opinion. Some of the jokes were fun for a few seconds, but got way too much attention (hotdogfingers, the Ratatouille thing, the talking rocks). The editing, cinematography and sound design were awesome though. Reminded me of Requiem for a Dream in certain spots.
4 weeks 1 day ago
Ebbywebby's avatar

Ebbywebby

Another salvo from A24, the company whose motto should be "Our films aren't always great, but they'll always be awesome."

I appreciated the humor and razzle-dazzle, but the crucial failing was that I wasn't emotionally invested. I didn't give a darn about the family relationships supposedly at the film's core, and when they were resolved in the end, I felt nothing at all. And there wasn't any strong philosophical subtext such as you feel in, say, Charlie Kaufman films. Unless you count "Be kind" as some profound message.
2 months 1 week ago
lemon snatcher's avatar

lemon snatcher

Everything Everywhere All Movies at Once
1 month 3 weeks ago
Squin's avatar

Squin

The culmination of 100 years of cinema.
2 months ago
utkuokur's avatar

utkuokur

There is an element of animal abuse in the movie. Other than that, it is fine.
1 month 3 weeks ago