KPND's avatar

KPND

I liked it a lot, but the love-dovey chasing-around stuff in the middle drags on too much.
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

What a visual delight. Just watched this for a second time. Still blown away by the visuals. And the story-telling is there, too. The cinematography and special effects are so damn beautiful. Why is it so incredibly beautiful? It's too darn beautiful. Why did Murnau die? Shouldn't he sign a pact with the devil and get a second youth? How can a piece of film be this beautiful? It's so pretty. A feast to the eye, a pleasurable sight.
schneid67's avatar

schneid67

It's beautiful. Like a painting. Every shot is amazing. The part in the middle might drag a bit, but it's so worth it and so good regardless.
afan's avatar

afan

*picks jaw up off the floor!
locovoco's avatar

locovoco

'Say the word, love' - from the song The Word by The Beatles off of Rubber Soul

'Sagen, das ewige wort......Liebe' ( or 'say the eternal word- Love' from Faust

Faust and the Beatles.....who knew?....what a small world...

And speaking of Small World, this movie was fantastic but the soundtrack behind the version I watched made me feel like I was trapped on Disney World's Haunted House ride with a crazy man playing every possible pre-programmed sound from his synthesizer! Hope I can find another version of the movie with better backing music......

Update: yes there is a better version with a fantastic score by Timothy Brock...that's what you want to look for...
weirdboy's avatar

weirdboy

In case anyone is interested, this is on MUBI today for free (at least, for the next couple of hours), and will be on for the next 30 days as part of the paid service.

The quality of the visuals and sound is outstanding in the version they are showing.
Shari.'s avatar

Shari.

"Liebe." Brilliant Ending!
ClassicLady's avatar

ClassicLady

Watching it on YouTube sucks...it's so dark and gritty. But I could see how this could be visually stunning if it were cleaned up and viewed on the size screen it was meant to be shown on. The special effects were unbelievable. The sets were magnificent. How could they have done all this when the artistry itself was so young? Brilliance!
criscoJovan's avatar

criscoJovan

Damnit! Wish I would've seen either of the versions posted on here. Instead I winded up watching an awful quality on the openflix youtube channel. I don't know what I was thinking..
idjutt's avatar

idjutt

I watched this after snoozing through "Birth of a Nation". What a surprise! This is vivid and fresh even today. Only thing I was a little disappointed with Mefistopheles being this tiny guy after that great entrance.
harposboy's avatar

harposboy

Stunning
Deus ex-Machina's avatar

Deus ex-Machina

This movie was beautiful! Truly a piece of Art!

And the score was brilliant!! I saw this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_wG-xrOXfY
seithscott's avatar

seithscott

Brilliant, visual poetry. The special effects were great for the time period.
Alberto's avatar

Alberto

Holden7's avatar

Holden7

Why horror? Its more like a thriller if we are talking about the exciting moments.