lachyas's avatar

lachyas

The corporate interference angle of the film is way overdone; a problem that is only exacerbated when you learn that it's almost entirely fictitious. It's clear that Mangold needed an antagonist more involved in the story than Enzo, and the answer is the portrayal of Leo Beebe, a character so hilariously machiavellian that he may as well be wearing a monocle. It's about the level of subtlety you can expect from a film which has such little faith in its audience that it has a character repeatedly exclaim "That means he needs to lap him twice!" during the climax of a race, as if looking directly into the camera and making sure everyone is on the same page.

It's not a bad movie (although that's down to the performances moreso than the script), but it desperately needed a bit more restraint and nuance.
Szilva's avatar

Szilva

I’ve watched the premiere at the Zürich Film Festival, the ensemble cast performs exceptionally and the chemistry is vivid between them. The cinematography and the sound mixing phenomenal but the cutting takes the cake! Definitely recommend to check it out once it’s released.
heat_'s avatar

heat_

A tad long but not disturbing at all. A joy to watch. Nice story of a workingman driver. Also was nice to see some sprinkle of business world hypocrisy.

Ford v Ferrari, as a title, sounds like a damn ad for a car manufacturer, which is why I prefer the European title, Le Mans '66, even if it only tells part of the story. It's thus a pleasant surprise that the film is anti-corporate, baldly stating that the corporate environment is a toxic dick-measuring context anathema to creativity. But what about the other metaphorical dick-measuring contest that is car racing? For our protagonists, there's a purity there that makes them proper heroes, but the two worlds are constantly compared in terms of competition, streamlining, and ethics. I don't drive and can't easily tell one car from the next, but for some reason, I have an affinity for car racing movies. While FvF doesn't come up to the level of my favorite, Grand Prix, it's a strong entry in the genre, less for the racing sequences (which are good, don't get me wrong), than for the characters' chemistry. I love the dynamic between Matt Damon and Christian Bale, of course, but also between Bale and Tracy Letts. There's a lot of humor and poignancy to be had from both, and that's really where the movie lives.
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

6 + / 10
Sure, the film is well made, but the first half is a bit slow and it is at its best when the big race goes towards the end in the second half. Slightly overrated if you ask me, even if it's good acting. On the Top 250 list? I can not understand at all as there are many movies that beat this with horse lengths. You see this once.
7 months ago
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

I liked it. Bale and Damon are both at top of their game, though Bale in particular sells a character that, as written, could be totally unbelievable. James Mangold is a reliably good director, and I don't think I can take much issue with the way he handled the material. I want to make it clear right now that I did like this movie, because the rest of this comment will be a hot, fresh rant about said material. I don't want to oversell this, but the screenplay is putrid. It doesn't surprise me to see that three writers are credited for it. I also obviously can't account for what might've been lost and re-arranged in editing, so I can't blame said trio of writers in totality. Blame aside, though, the story that exists in this film is, again, pretty gosh darn bad. It stinks of hack writing; of cribbing good bits from good movies without a clear understanding of what makes those bits work as a whole. The only character relationship that feels genuine is the one between Bale's and Damon's characters (Ken Miles and Carroll Shelby). Ken Mile's wife and son feature heavily in this narratively-disjointed movie, but their scenes often feel either blandly written or sloppily inserted. The characters' motivations make sense, but the writing itself is so hollow that you don't ever feel like you get a sense of who they are, and the actors playing them (Caitriona Balfe and Noah Jupe) are both doing their jobs and doing them well.

The angle of Cool Racing Guys vs. Dumb Poopy Suit-Wearing Worms is underdeveloped. There's one character in the movie (was his name Leo?) that just serves as the "Guy the Audience Gets To Hate." He's boring and annoyed me constantly, not because the character was supposed to be an annoying jerk, but because he was so transparently- and lazily-written. Jon Berenthal appears as Lee Iacocca and he doesn't really seem to have ANY personality. Is he supposed to be cool? Plucky? There's no dimension to any of these characters. Enzo Ferrari might be the only supporting character with some personality, and he's in something like three scenes.

The film also frustrated me in how safe it was. Not that the story within was safe, but that the telling of it felt so safe. There almost seems to have been a clear mission to avoid challenging the audience in almost any way; as if a Disney/FOX exec had made a note to the post-production to bestow absolutely no trust in the intelligence of the audience. I have an example for you: in the titular Le Mans race itself (one of the focal points of the film), the titular rivalry between Ford and Ferrari comes to a head. Ken Miles in the GT40 vs. some Italian guy who keeps shooting vaguely-intimidating looks at the camera. Because of reasons explained very clearly in the film, Miles is lapped by the Ferrari guy. There's a line as Miles exits the pit stop about having to pass the Ferrari two times. This line is clear, and anyone paying attention will catch it. When Miles passes the Ferrari the first time around, the film cuts to Miles' family watching at home just so his son can say something along the lines of "he only has to pass him one more time!" I'm not a goldfish, you know. You don't have to have characters explain to me what's happening every time something happens. I have eyes; ears; a mind.

The pacing is odd. There's a big event that happens about ten minutes before the movie ends and we have no time to let it set in. The things that we know should happen do happen, but at a pace that keeps you from connecting to them on any emotional level. It's just one more of the many ways that this movie kept me from really enjoying it. If only these players had a better foundation. Tracy Lets makes a refreshing presence in the film because he breathes a little life into it when he's on-screen. Otherwise, the whole affair just lacks momentum.
airi86ja's avatar

airi86ja

How good is that!!!
Fell in love with Ch. Bale again.
Great story-line, perfectly revealed.
Applause!
JHB's avatar

JHB

So good that the movie kept going 15 minutes after it already ended!
chunkylefunga's avatar

chunkylefunga

Its ok but it's a tad naff with the cliched arsehole office 'baddy'.
Michael12's avatar

Michael12

It’s too bad this film isn’t getting much recognition from the award bodies, because it may be my favorite film of the year (Between this and 1917). Not enough movies like Ford V. Ferrari are made anymore: dramatic films with the budget of a Hollywood blockbuster. I will say the film starts off slow, but once we get into everything surrounding Le Mans it’s superb. Matt Damon was great and Christian Bale is getting seriously overlooked when it comes to best actor. Of course I have to mention director James Mangold (Cop Land, 3:10 Yuma, Logan, and now Ford V. Ferrari), who has firmly cemented himself as one of the best directors working today.
Christian Powell's avatar

Christian Powell

Loved this movie! I just wish in racing movies they would race at the tracks they are supposed to be racing at. Epically one as iconic as Daytona being replaced with Auto Club Speedway in California.
CorPse's avatar

CorPse

Tracy Letts owns this film.