Torgo's avatar

Torgo

Greta Gerwig is just lovely as Frances.
armyofshadows's avatar

armyofshadows

I did not find any of the characters to be particularly innovative or interesting- they ARE a bunch of spoiled art snobs, but that's not a reason to hate the film, I think. I just didn't see much going on. It didn't go beyond anything I expected it to- it remained in the cute indie film realm and didn't venture very far out of it.
joaooricardo's avatar

joaooricardo

This film is adorable! I loved Frances
Louis Mazzini's avatar

Louis Mazzini

Lovely!
palefire's avatar

palefire

Like an extended episode of the TV show Girls, but unlike the show, it is infectious rather than tiresome.
fonz's avatar

fonz

I'm unsure as to whether this was a serious movie or a satire of the failure-to-launch archetype. Either way I think it was great and Greta Gerwig was perfect as the dramatized female version of myself. The Criterion Collection extra on the look of the film really increased my appreciation of it.
airi86ja's avatar

airi86ja

liked it and OST as well

Frances Ha is a little black and white indie film by Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale), co-written by its star, Greta Gerwig, who plays a 27-year-old listless would-be dancer trying to make it in New York City. At its core, the film is a love story between Frances and not a boyfriend, but her best friend Sophie, a relationship that's put to the test by Frances' seeming inability to grow beyond the present moment. She only lives in the moment, and makes grandiose mistakes based on that moment's feeling. Structurally, the film follows that principle, jumping weeks, months, possibly years without onscreen notification or explanation, taking us to those defining moments. A comedy driven by its characters' wit and pathetic decisions - a type of comedy I admit being a fan of - it's not the move intensely "plotty" thing ever made, more of a portrait really, though we're definitely taken on a slow personal journey. You can fault its idleness (though it's the character's) or say it's entirely too derivative of Woody Allen's work (and by extension, of Lena Dunham's, perhaps the subject matter and generation pictured makes it inevitable), but the end of the film has such a perfect (and unusual) summation of its themes that all is forgiven. Worth staying 'til the end.
Dan-Nile's avatar

Dan-Nile

I hated everyone, and not in a good way.
Sunless's avatar

Sunless

This is one of the 21st Century's most acclaimed films? May God help us all.
AdilS's avatar

AdilS

I understand it tries to be a satire but it ends up being just like characters in the film. Insecure.
devilsadvocado's avatar

devilsadvocado

This movie will annoy the shit out of you until however many minutes in you get before you realize it's a satire...at which point it becomes pretty brilliant. As a former naive, delusional wannabe somebody living in NYC, and friends with pretty much every character in Frances Ha, this was just too perfect.
thesearethethoughts's avatar

thesearethethoughts

The most beautiful film I have seen in a while.
Forzelius's avatar

Forzelius

the main character had all the traits of lena dunham from girls but i didn't hate her so much. perhaps it's because lena dunham just sucks.
this flick was good though, especially liked the dialogue which kept itself fresh throughout. didn't quite get why the B&W aspect was necessary but hey - it's artsy and hip
11 months 2 weeks ago