Ebbywebby's avatar

Ebbywebby

What a disappointing film. It's good for 45 minutes or so, then just turns into an hour and a half of mooning over Omar Sharif and his weird, watery eyes. Of course there's "The Voice," but it's not enough. More showbiz and less romance, please.

I have no history with Barbara Streisand beyond her obvious iconic status. In fact, as I sat down to watch Funny Girl, I checked and discovered I'd never seen a movie she was in before. Here she reprises a role she made famous on Broadway, that of unusual Follies star Fanny Brice, who managed to turned most numbers into quirky comedy sketches, otherwise a self-proclaimed "ugly duckling" among the Ziegfeld girls. I've seen many "show people" musicals, and too often, the lead is at once conceited and insecure, but when the Follies are evoked, at least the production values are high, and Brice's comedy takes are very entertaining. It's when Funny Girl wallows in biopic elements (as off the mark as they might be) that it gets tedious for me, despite giving us some of the better songs ("People Who Love People", "Sadie, Married Lady"). Omar Sharif makes a suave gambler-about-town, but his marriage to Streisand's Fanny (cough) quickly turns to melodrama and takes us away from the stage AND from the humor. Starts off well, and I acknowledge its place in musical history, but Funny Girl too quickly turns into Sad Lady.
dippygirl78's avatar

dippygirl78

Is this a classic? Really? It's not what I thought at all and became bored half way through... Sorry Barbara, normally I love you but the dreary songs.
For a film called funny girl I thought it would be well... funnier.
MMDan's avatar

MMDan

Unfunny girl.
Public Enemy's avatar

Public Enemy

I was worried this would be one of those rare times where Barbara isn't her normal, insufferable self. The movie failed to disappoint on that.
yourmelodi's avatar

yourmelodi

I love this film. Great picture, great screenplay, great acting. Perfect.
Torgo's avatar

Torgo

You're telling me people paid to see this movie?
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

A good movie, neither more nor less. A highly acclaimed classic on several movie top lists with two mainly known song numbers by Streisand, among others "People". The film won 1 Oscar (Best Actress in a Leading Role: Streisand). 7.4/10 in average rating on IMDb, and 89/100 in metascore, but I do not understand the critics. Must be that it was considered super when it arrived. Moderately interesting, long, somewhat slow at times. I consider Walter Pidgeon as Ziegfeld to be one of the best actors!
halcain's avatar

halcain

This is a classic for a reason. I love this, and I have watched this numerous times.
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

lovely and charming. I'm not a musical fan but this one was wonderful :)
nrmnp's avatar

nrmnp

The finale is asphyxiating. Argh.
thaleya's avatar

thaleya

A true classic, with an awesome Barbra. Love it!