TheBanana's avatar

It's mostly for children, but Miyazaki makes it difficult not to love anyway.
Duke of Omnium's avatar

Duke of Omnium

The story is a bit juvenile and simplistic, and this does not have the adult appeal that Totoro or Spirited Away has, but visually stunning, like all of Miyazaki's films.
sushantv10's avatar

weaker than other miyazaki movies and this was more for the kids .....but honestly, enjoyed it a lot : )
Filmsthemostbeautifulart's avatar

In 2008, the animation world eagerly awaited for another film from the Oscar Winning Mastermind. Yes, the film is Ponyo. Although the general audiences found this film not one of his bests, but critics like Roger Ebert tagged it a true art film for all ages. Boy he was right! The film tells the story of a goldfish who wants to become a human. She befriends Sosuke, a boy of 5 and the one who names her Ponyo. The film is about this friendship and a love that sprouts between the two eventually.

Yeah I know, same old film cliche of love and friendship. But this is where you are wrong. Miyazaki is expert in capturing the emotions and the movements of the characters. When you see both the kids playing, they are not just playing, you seem to be there too witnessing their beautiful friendship. There are scenes of great details like the way Ponyo sits uncomfortably in the boy's house because she's not used to human life that turns a crazy story line in to a magical one. As 90% of the film takes place in the ocean, get ready for a magical ride with sea creatures so beautifully drawn that it feels like a painting coming to life... Miyazaki is so great. I still wonder to this day how he controls the characters and the environment so perfectly? It becomes so real that even his films made for 5-year-old's entertains adults equally. Ponyo is certainly a great addition to the world of animation that Miyazaki has created and this 19 year old just enjoys getting lost in this world.

Even after being 70 years old, this little man still has a child inside him. Ponyo proves that point once again. Get ready to be dazzled by his incredible artistry seen in Ponyo and you won't regret it.

Videl's avatar

Poonyoo, Ponyo, Ponyo, Fishy in the sea.
Ponyoo, Ponyo, Ponyo, Magic sets you free! :D
Atsjonas's avatar

What? Boring? This was FANTASTIC! Really, really loved it!
few visible scars's avatar

few visible scars

I'm sorry people I'm afraid I am going to disagree with the overwhelming tide of "OOhhh how sweet" about this one.. But, in defence I ask help that may excuse my negative reaction . Please have patience and read on.

Experience has underlined the well known rule of thumb that the English dubbed versions are a pale shadow of the original language with subtitles...

Unfortunatly I only got to see the dubbed version.

Can anyone who is Japanese.. or a fluent speaker - tell me..
About the voicing of Ponyo .. In the version I saw she was made to be (sorry folks, but in my opinion) very brattish, annoying and winey a lot of the time and this really put me off. I found the whole film very .. well.. sorry.. but childish.

OK, OK, I hear all the crys of "it is about children you idiot".. I get that,, but every other similar Ghibli I have seen - even other dubbed / westernised ones - have not been as bad as this one.
If this had been my first by this director / team, I'm afraid I wouldn't have tried any others.
Punisher's avatar

Studio Ghibli Magic!
Camille Deadpan's avatar

Camille Deadpan

Baka baka baka ...
sammysin's avatar

My first Ghibli and so special to me.
mook's avatar

The traditional mermaid tale, re-imagined by Japan's Studio Ghibli into a sweet and surreal child-based animated fantasy. 7/10.

Follow me on Twitter @LastFilmSeen
Zeltaebar's avatar

Loved it! :-)
Eddyspeeder's avatar

The only feature film directed by Myazaki that's not on any list. For that reason alone it should have made the "Ain't Nobody's Blues But My Own" list.

Admitted, it's not Miyazaki's best; the characters are under-developed and it's a bit too much "in the moment" for my taste (no history, no future). But it's just very enjoyable from start to end (the credits are awesome, but so is every shot). And I still like it better than NausicaƤ.
fredrikhs's avatar

Thought of this movie after the tsunami in Japan.
Batnobbit's avatar

Man, Sosuke's Mother is a badass on the road.