C-3PO's avatar

C-3PO

Omg I don't think I had ever seen so many movie genres in one single movie. And all of them work quite well!
10 months 2 weeks ago
HyliaFischer's avatar

HyliaFischer

Bong Joon-Ho proves again that he's one of the best directors of this generation.
9 months 2 weeks ago

With Parasite, Bong Joon-ho drops the science-fiction metaphors of Okja and Snowpiercer to craft a much more subtle and layered film about inequity and class struggle. There are many surprises in this one, so even talking about its themes may prove to be a spoiler, but I'll do my best... At the start of the film, we're introduced to a poor family who very entertainingly con their way into a rich family's house because they're desperate. The wealthy Parks are, surprise, good people on the face of it, but privilege is an innocuous, oblivious evil, and the audience is presented with two kinds of "parasite" on society, the poor AND the rich, who are toxic to one another. Upper and lower class are fabulously represented through verticality and observational pathos, and the more extreme elements of the story portray how the poor are made to turn on each other because they've been sold on the dream that they too can achieve fortune. On the flip side, the rich have built unassailable fortunes on the backs of the poor, what's bad for the underclass, good for them, no matter how sympathetic they may play to "the help". Some lines cannot be crossed. Great cinematography, and memorable performances too. I especially like Cho Yeo-jeong's gullible young mom and Park So-dam as the slick grifting daughter. Best film of the year, they say. I'm not sure I can argue. It's definitely a film for our times.
7 months 4 weeks ago
adiragnam's avatar

adiragnam

Made by director Bong Joon Ho, the guy responsible for The Host, Memories of Murder and Snowpiercer.
Not his best, but still very good. There's an excellent sequence with the central family going from the highs of the success of their plan to the absolute low of returning to reality.
You get the very weird, but familiar switching of tones in the movie. That signature switch is what makes his movies feel so life-like. No matter the plot.
11 months ago
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

A fascinating tale of exploitation, familial bond, class struggle, dignity, morality and everything in between. Fantastic.

5 stars
8 months 1 week ago
catherinefrances's avatar

catherinefrances

Hello @Limbedautomne what are you talking about? You comment the same thing on everything else you watch? Is it a joke? I would like to know.

Anyway, Parasite was an incredible watch, so detailed! Best thing I’ve watched in a while!
1 year 1 month ago
greenhorg's avatar

greenhorg

Some say the ubiquitous "twin" movie phenomenon (Bugs Life vs. Antz, etc) is a product of competition among Hollywood studios, but here we have two very different countries releasing twin metaphorical class horror-comedies (Parasite and Jordan Peele's 'Us'). So chalk one up for "In the Air" theory. (See also The Raid: Redemption & Dredd)
6 months 3 weeks ago
Malteser's avatar

Malteser

Superbe!
11 months 3 weeks ago
satisfythecrave's avatar

satisfythecrave

still processing but BONG HIVE THRIVES.
9 months ago
chunkylefunga's avatar

chunkylefunga

Loved the build up and the turns it takes but the legs start falling off in the third act.

The ending doesn't do justice to the build up, which is a shame as this could have turned into a good movie, instead of just an ok one
5 months ago
cinephile085's avatar

cinephile085

Brilliant. My favorite film of 2019.
6 months 3 weeks ago
Dawizz's avatar

Dawizz

RESPECT!!!
2 months 3 weeks ago
armyofshadows's avatar

armyofshadows

If someone knows a better film from 2019, please tell me.

A brilliantly layered, thoroughly entertaining critique of social class and our modern age.
6 months ago
Zeozk_wk's avatar

Zeozk_wk

No doubt the best film of 2019. It definitely deserved all the awards at the Oscar that it got.
1 week 6 days ago
Zov's avatar

Zov

I think that it really does live up the hype. It is very entertaining and I guess it is a movie for everyone because it is easy to watch and it is not ambiguous at all. I can say that because I watched this movie with my family, and they enjoyed it a lot more than I would have imagined. So do not hesitate and go watch it, I bet you will not regret it.
1 month 1 week ago