Christian Powell's avatar

Christian Powell

This movie is incredible, and it means the start of award season movies!
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Quite intense!
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

Remarkably simple script (and number of characters) but it is executed with brilliant effect. The shuttle being destroyed in the beginning of the film is disturbing and terrifying. Many movies have used the vacuum of space as a plot tool to showcase the total outside environment to be dangerous but not to the effect that Gravity does. There are times you feel that the characters are walking a tightrope over tall buildings but there's no gravity here, one slip and you're drifting forever. Terrifying.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

I'm a bit torn. I appreciate the unusual concept of just one person alone in outer space basically all through the entire length of a movie. Interesting idea.

Somehow it still couldn't quite measure up to my expectations. The story was certainly okay but it didn't have the effect on me that I hoped it might... visually the film was beautiful but still somehow not quite what I had expected.

So it's a good movie with several great ideas... still, something was missing.
kurvduam's avatar

kurvduam

(removed by mod: please post in English)
royalspikey77's avatar

royalspikey77

Excellent. Staggering effects, worthy Oscar winner no doubt about it!

It almost felt to me like the entire run-time was barely 10 minutes, such was the way it grabbed you and dragged you into the screen. I wish I had gone to the cinema to see it....
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Exciting space thriller!!!! Bullock, sound, effects, direction are exceptional. Thee isn't much plot as some reviewers here mentioned but it's not about plot. Just a simple story about overcoming setbacks and willing to survive.....will have you on the edge of your seat.

The Blu Ray is demo worthy, just wow.....
karuss's avatar

karuss

With this film, Cuaron joins the rank of the weightless auteurs (if he wasn't already part of them): Murnau, Ophuls, Kubrick, Zulawski, De Palma, Malick, Noe, To, and others that I probably haven't discovered or am forgetting at the moment.

On the surface, Gravity appears to be a very bare-bones B-genre exercise: a story of survival in space between 2 people, with the cracking wise guy of Clooney, who recalls a Golden Age Hollywood hero, alongside the quiet but strong willed Sandra Bullock. At times, the film is like a screwball comedy from the 40's, even in the most desperate of situations. The earnestness of the Bullock character, and the astounding visual grammar, elevate this from the B-genre spirit the film starts on onto different, spiritual territory.

Instead of the jungle, or the sea, Cuaron intelligently presents the next place our distant humans will look to for exploration, unless Ballard was right and we will never leave this rock for good. Just like the jungle or the sea, it is chaotic, at least to our eyes. Many lives will be lost in the exploration of the unknown, but it is all in humanity's interest. The building block for success is built on top of mistakes and chance encounters.

Taking off from Mission to Mars and Enter the Void, the camerawork, with the help of computers, is a beautiful, balletic montage, the most graceful, technical and ingenious use of blocking, movement, framing I've ever seen. The reflections of the visor, the sunrise, northern lights and the earth, is pure primal poetry.

This film is a celebration of humanity that is part of the struggle, that is, humanity that keeps fighting to stay afloat, no matter how many times it gets its ass kicked. It may be too much for our cynical age; this humble commenter found some of Bullock's later scenes to be too much. But Cuaron gives us what we need, which may not be what we want. I'm all for it, even though what we get isn't perfect.
Zolex's avatar

Zolex

The story is thin, but okay enough for this purpose. There's two stars in 'Gravity', and that's the score and CGI. Neither Clooney or Bullock plays their roles extremely well, but it's good enough to keep the interest up. The score and CGI on the other hand, that is amazing!

The score drags you into the movie, and the first time I noticed how affected I was by the score was when I grasped for air about 1 minute into the movie. I noticed several times how the score made my brain put me in the shoes of Bullock, and this affected especially my breath. Besides that, the score is not something that kept disturbing the experince of watching the movie, but rather helped building up a mediocre plot.

The CGI seems to me like the only explainable reason why they made this movie, and unlike a few other movies made in a certain way because of the animation (Avatar and Life of Pi), they only focused on doing the best in one field (although the score was pretty good as well).

All in all, 'Gravity' is a decent movie, but not very good. If you have about an hour and a half to kill, this movie is a good choice as you're not bored at least. 6.5/10
lekast's avatar

lekast

Mayday, mayday, Sandra Bullock is ruining the movie, Houston we have a problem!
Joker of Gotham's avatar

Joker of Gotham

This movie is great, visually is incredible, the sound is simple awesome, Sandra Bullock performance is fantastic.
It's a shame that I didnĀ“t see this movie on the theather.
Alfonson Cuaron was great he deserves great recognition for this movie.
4.25/5
Scratch47's avatar

Scratch47

Saw it in 3D IMAX, biggest screen in the country. Technically mindblowing fusion of cinematography, 3D and VFX, all other films this year should just step aside. Plot and dialogue are minimal but the spectacle and detail is extraordinary. 7.5/10
sslipacc's avatar

sslipacc

something new,
7/10
mpouk's avatar

mpouk

Technically superb and it captures the atmosphere in outer space but the story is slight and the human interest marginal . At times it seems more like a Discover Channel documentary with superior production values than a feature film, though I must commend some expertly choreographed scenes and the conspicuous absence of the ubiquitous rapid fire editing that plagues modern action movies.
Ecila's avatar

Ecila

The best 3D movie I've ever seen.
Simple plot.