Geido's avatar

Geido

One of the best movies I've seen in years. Everything I was looking for and more.
airi86ja's avatar

airi86ja

Well, there were some so called "dull" moments, quite predictable.
However film wasn't bad, especially because of it's unique plot and 3D effects.
And main actors OF COURSE - did great job.

Talking of Sci-Fi genre, i expected smth like Moon [2009], but to my mind this was much stronger.
mclorf's avatar

mclorf

i haven't seen like this movie. This is amazing realistic film
brainfabias's avatar

brainfabias

Seldom have I felt so moved and content after stepping out of the theatre.
Gravity. Do not miss it...
aniforprez's avatar

aniforprez

WOW

9.5/10
HyliaFischer's avatar

HyliaFischer

Every new Cuaron movie is a new masterpiece. This one is no exception. Camera, music and the acting of Sandra Bullock are all outstanding. Just an awesome movie.
Calliope_Clamors's avatar

Calliope_Clamors

"Gravity" is exhilarating in a way I don't even know how to describe because never before have I experienced anything close to it in a film. But here I go anyway. Alfonso CuarĂ³n has birthed a visual masterpiece that sets a new standard for visual effects at a level that won't be matched for years to come.

If, for some reason, the trailers didn't convince you this was going to be something special, then, besides feeling sorry for you, I can't wait to see your reaction once you finally see it. My expectations were at their peak and were still completely surpassed.

Not only is the visual aspect technically mind-blowing, but so are the rest of the elements - the story, characters, acting, pacing, score, cinematography and editing are all in top form as well. I listed editing last because this is a film whose opening shot is a single take that lasts somewhere near 17 minutes - over one-sixth of its runtime. That's not to say the entire movie is like that, but it certainly sets the serenity and calmness of space - when space is serene and calm.

Do yourself a favor and see it on the biggest screen you can, preferably IMAX 3D. The immersion is breathtaking. (Literally, you will forget to breathe.)

If any of this sounds like hyperbole, please tell me where I exaggerated. I will defend every above and below statement passionately.

"Gravity" is a perfect film that must be seen to be believed. And even then, believing is still not easy.
shawbin's avatar

shawbin

Amazing movie! The cinematography was absolutely incredible. And very good message to the movie too.
cathedra's avatar

cathedra

this is awful

I at first put Gravity in the Captain Phillips camp, i.e. too much of a procedural to have the richness and fullness a true contender needs. But I was soon disabused of that notion. Despite serving as a realistic and exciting accident in space (I'd put it in a The Right Stuff/From the Earth to the Moon/Apollo 13 marathon easily), it's also lyrical and poetic, exploring themes of isolation and connecting to the rest of humanity, and is visually and thematically a story of death and rebirth. It's an incredibly sensual film that puts you in the protagonist's head space all the way through, even the score is from her point of view. Visual and auditory details aplenty, though a certain tactile element as well. Obviously, it looks like it was made for an IMAX experience, but it was no slouch on my TV. I'm a big fan.
MistahDarcy's avatar

MistahDarcy

Boring as hell, honestly.
AaronWest's avatar

AaronWest

I have never truly understood the complaint that the film has "terrible dialogue".

Not every film has to be dense and wittingly written like All About Eve, for example.

People don't actually talk like that in real-life, and if there is one thing that Gravity strived for and did beautifully it was realism.
dr love's avatar

dr love

i enjoyed that one, but i can't understand why is it in the sci-fi list.
AaronWest's avatar

AaronWest

I'm surprised at how little people have picked up on obvious religious and evolutionary symbolism, as well as the allegory of death, rebirth, and depression.
The plot is intended to be simple and "hokey" so that these stand through.
Larkspire's avatar

Larkspire

Absolutely fantastic film, but not going to be worth buying... Until I can afford a 3DTV, at least :P

Lovely visuals - I actually felt dizzy at times, which is the first time any movie (3D or no) has managed to do that to me. A real experience.

As others have said - 1) I'd like to see the Perfect Movie Rulebook page that explains why a complex plot is the most important thing in any movie. 2) shame about the overbearing score.