ESG's avatar

ESG

Should have been a silent movie.
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Quite intense!
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

Remarkably simple script (and number of characters) but it is executed with brilliant effect. The shuttle being destroyed in the beginning of the film is disturbing and terrifying. Many movies have used the vacuum of space as a plot tool to showcase the total outside environment to be dangerous but not to the effect that Gravity does. There are times you feel that the characters are walking a tightrope over tall buildings but there's no gravity here, one slip and you're drifting forever. Terrifying.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

I'm a bit torn. I appreciate the unusual concept of just one person alone in outer space basically all through the entire length of a movie. Interesting idea.

Somehow it still couldn't quite measure up to my expectations. The story was certainly okay but it didn't have the effect on me that I hoped it might... visually the film was beautiful but still somehow not quite what I had expected.

So it's a good movie with several great ideas... still, something was missing.
kurvduam's avatar

kurvduam

(removed by mod: please post in English)
cathedra's avatar

cathedra

this is awful
royalspikey77's avatar

royalspikey77

Excellent. Staggering effects, worthy Oscar winner no doubt about it!

It almost felt to me like the entire run-time was barely 10 minutes, such was the way it grabbed you and dragged you into the screen. I wish I had gone to the cinema to see it....

I at first put Gravity in the Captain Phillips camp, i.e. too much of a procedural to have the richness and fullness a true contender needs. But I was soon disabused of that notion. Despite serving as a realistic and exciting accident in space (I'd put it in a The Right Stuff/From the Earth to the Moon/Apollo 13 marathon easily), it's also lyrical and poetic, exploring themes of isolation and connecting to the rest of humanity, and is visually and thematically a story of death and rebirth. It's an incredibly sensual film that puts you in the protagonist's head space all the way through, even the score is from her point of view. Visual and auditory details aplenty, though a certain tactile element as well. Obviously, it looks like it was made for an IMAX experience, but it was no slouch on my TV. I'm a big fan.
Marasmusine's avatar

Marasmusine

Made me feel quite anxious and made me want to play Kerbal Space Program.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Exciting space thriller!!!! Bullock, sound, effects, direction are exceptional. Thee isn't much plot as some reviewers here mentioned but it's not about plot. Just a simple story about overcoming setbacks and willing to survive.....will have you on the edge of your seat.

The Blu Ray is demo worthy, just wow.....
sinefilizaslinda's avatar

sinefilizaslinda

So unlucky.
nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

Things just keep on happening...

MistahDarcy's avatar

MistahDarcy

Boring as hell, honestly.
mrjeels's avatar

mrjeels

I wouldn't mind, except Cuaron goes out of his way to say space is vast, empty, and silent and then follows it up with loud sounds, constant action, and (for space) relative crampness. The soundtrack was ungodly awful, clanging its way into every second. Yet, even without the soundtrack their is no calm in the movie as it goes from one gigantic event to the next. At one point I pulled out my phone to time how long a moment of silence would last without a new giant event, 1min 30 seconds!!!! Seriously! Space for the ADD mind. Just amazingly disappointing, and its acclaim is just further signs of an empty, shallow American film system. I expect better from you Cuaron! (It was very pretty for a video game)
AaronWest's avatar

AaronWest

I have never truly understood the complaint that the film has "terrible dialogue".

Not every film has to be dense and wittingly written like All About Eve, for example.

People don't actually talk like that in real-life, and if there is one thing that Gravity strived for and did beautifully it was realism.