armyofshadows's avatar

armyofshadows

Whoever wrote the script was clearly high on cocaine, and the movie really resembles a video game. I mean, there's an escort mission, a turret level and a boss battle. The ending was quite satisfying and the moments of humor were welcome, also. A damn good spectacle. So, is Henry human? Is humanity defined by memory and not flesh and bone, as Naishuller comments? Philosophy
fonz's avatar

fonz

The stunt people should be recognized as gods among men. Such good fun although I started becoming uninterested during the rooftop sequence but then the Queen-sized adrenaline boost kicked in and I was right back in it and then it was over.
CatiaOrmonde's avatar

CatiaOrmonde

Felt like I was playing a game, from the very beginning. However, I came to the conclusion that, if I had decided to play a game instead of watching this, I'd probably have been much more amused.
Groovy09's avatar

Groovy09

Ok, this one really took me by suprise! Now, dispite some of the harsh backlash from most critics, I can honestly tell that 'Hardcore Henry' is one of the most fun and impressive genre-movies of the year!

When I heard that the hole film was in first-person, my first reaction was that it was going to be nothing more than a cheep gimmick, since the last time it was done was in 'Doom' from 2005. And we all know how horrible that was! But here it's a kind of a gimmick that's done right and used to it's full potential to create a non-stop crazy, violent and fun extravaganza of an experience.

Under the surface of all the mayhem and craziness, there's also a pretty cool and engaging sci-fi story with some interesting ideas, which I will not give away any details about, other than that they were much more than I acturlly expected from a film like this.

Now, will it go down in history as an action-classic? Probably not, nor is it a perfect film by any means. But it's a film that knows what it is and doesn't try to be anything more for that matter.

Dispite what I have just said, 'Hardcore Henry' is not a film that I will recommend to every person on the planet, but if you're just looking for an action-film that is crazy, over the top and a little different than most action films these days, then don't miss this one!

The small audience I saw this with where clapping at the end, which can only be a sign that they(me included) Where having a blast! And that the film delivered the goods. :)
Slylingual24's avatar

Slylingual24

Nothing short of an incredibly great time.
MacBrains's avatar

MacBrains

Incredibly WTF, totally fun. Probably the best tribute to FPS ever in the movie history.
starnamedstork's avatar

starnamedstork

Crank - the video game. Or should that be Call of Grand Theft Mirrors - the movie?

So yeah, what armyofshadows said. It is a video game. On top of the elements he mentions, I would like to add:

- a sidekick talking you through the tutorial, the story and any new gameplay mechanics
- clearly defined mission objectives and waypoints
- scripted events and cutscenes
- powerups

If you like outrageous over the top action and/or video games, you will be fine. If you get dizzy by the sign of blood or the thought of climbing into a ferris wheel, you should probably sit this one out.
Agrimorfee's avatar

Agrimorfee

I had tears running down my face at times, so much fun...although I also needed to look away for a few moments 60% in, I needed a visual stimulation break.

I see why this is titled "Hardcore Henry" in America. It has a much different meaning all by itself.
Carota's avatar

Carota

the horse!
royalspikey77's avatar

royalspikey77

Super duper mental movie. Got to love it if you like action/gaming/extremely satisfying violence - a really standout project full of good ideas, great effects, humour and of course the awesome Sharlto Copley
nanolucas's avatar

nanolucas

One of the purest action movies to come out in the last decade. Non-stop fun!
Jace Lightner's avatar

Jace Lightner

Unique

The conceit of Hardcore Henry is that the entire movie is shot as if from the POV of a just-awakened, mute cyborg, using the vocabulary, grammar and syntax of first-person shooter games to craft a non-stop action movie where YOU are the star. In theaters, this must have required a barf bag. On my television screen, it's fine. But giving the character no voice is ultimately the film's downfall because either he's doing action or he's being given exposition by other characters and give or take the odd flash of memory (very thin memories), that's not much of an in. He's a cipher given missions, GPS destinations, and henchmen to grind through. I would even say the twists and turns are fairly predictable as well, and the surprising elements kind of come out of nowhere (how is the main villain telekinetic, for example), though there's some fun to be had with the Jimmy character. Entertaining enough, and of visual interest, but the gimmick wears thin at around the halfway point and I don't think the movie truly recovers. Boppin' soundtrack though.
Emiam's avatar

Emiam

Haha, what a funny movie! Sharlto Copley as Henry's friend Jimmy is great - carries on himself!! Good soundtrack! Otherwise: First time in history a feature film with the main character always in FPS (first person shooter)-mode!

Should be in some top list! "Because it's worth it!"
Skanderaje's avatar

Skanderaje

So fun! It's really like a video game!