Henry K Hurtin's avatar

Henry K Hurtin

An entertaining comedy. Especially the supporting characters like the Potters or the brother Ned are adorable.

Grant surprised me with his acrobatic abilities.
Camille Deadpan's avatar

Camille Deadpan

Hepburn is a-maz-ing in this, just amazing!
screwball27's avatar

screwball27

Very good one, should be in more lists!

Imagine living in a time when Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant could team up twice in one year - in Bringing Up Baby and in Holiday! The latter makes me think about plays adapted into films and how it can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it often makes for literate comedy or drama, and often pushes the boundaries of what's acceptable in a Hollywood movie of a certain era. In Holiday, Hepburn evidently suffers from mental health problems, her brother is an alcoholic, etc. On the other, it can feel "written" and hyper reality (the special effects of the stage) sets in. While Hepburn burns up the screen with an emotional bipolar performance, what she's given to say, while witty, almost pushes things into melodrama. But it still succeeds as a kind of romcom that veers into more serious material. Cary Grant is a free spirit who falls in love and wants to quickly marry a woman who turns out to be a rich heiress and somehow, that's not Hepburn, but her sister! He finds himself at odds with the patriarch's values, dramatizing the American Dream's paradox of freedom by way of workaholism. New Year's is, in fact, the perfect holiday for these events as he finds himself at a turning point. I also want to mention Edward Everett Horton, who I've often criticized for over-playing the comedy, but here shows restraint and turns in one of his funniest performances.
252's avatar

252

Exemplifies classical Hollywoodian cinema. Is also a typical Hepburnian plot. Loved it.
DerekFME's avatar

DerekFME

It's a lot of fun but perhaps a bit too wacky at times. It really does descend into utter silliness on occasion. Still Cary Grant just oozes talent and charisma, exactly the sort of guy most men would love to be.
locovoco's avatar

locovoco

I couldn't resist the overwhelming urge to indulge in chocolate after watching this movie...now, why on earth?...whatever could make me?.....I wonder...yes, I think it might be!....that giant Hershey's Kiss hat Julia Seton (Doris Nolan) and that giant Reese's Cup hat Linda Seton (Katherine Hepburn) were wearing after church! Yummy.....

And speaking of delicious...how good was Ned Seton (Lew Ayres)? Or as I like to call him 'The Jack Lemmon of The Golden Age Of Hollywood'