Torgo's avatar

Torgo

Too much gross-out humor and cussing make this comedy less enjoyable than it could be, but it has its moments. John Cusack deserves better.
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

Not quite the "so bad its good" classic it pretends to be, HTTM has a few funny moments and acknowledges them all with its tongue very much in cheek (note the recreation of several famous 1980s movie scenes), but ultimately it's not all that great. Predictable story and predictable humour. Mildly entertaining anyway.
IndianaJones's avatar

IndianaJones

The pay-off for the running gag was really shit. Not really 80s if that was what they were going for. Jokes were meh.
nick-samuel's avatar

nick-samuel

7/10. Competent comedy + John Cusak factor.
Eduardo Nasi's avatar

Eduardo Nasi

Is it just me or there are really several references to Twin Peaks? Like the one-armed man and the design of the inn. Ok, maybe it is just my mind.

Hot Tub Time Machine is essentially The Hangover with time travel, so I was at war with myself as to whether I would ever watch it. Turns out, it's a pretty fun movie. I like the actors, whose screen presence transcends the fact they are written as entitled, prejudiced jerks. I like the riff on Quantum Leap, even if the time travel mechanics aren't ironclad. I like the 80s jokes and soundtrack, though I'm left cold by much of the crass gross-out humor. It's biggest flaw is that it has nothing to say. It's a coming of (middle) age movie, but it has no strong opinion on what that means, or how its characters should grow as people by revisiting their youth. Anything they should confront about themselves is magically fixed by the changes they introduce in the time line, so I guess it's just a power fantasy where you don't need to change, everything else does. But it doesn't really know it's saying that. It's not saying anything. So I'm content to have found it amusing and I will leave it at that.
samfenn's avatar

samfenn

Very meh.
mook's avatar

mook

I can't decide if this was genius or a missed opportunity - but it has the feel of a future Cult Film... 6/10.

Follow me on Twitter @LastFilmSeen
JCS's avatar

JCS

Really funny!
Justcharmingyou's avatar

Justcharmingyou

"I'm doing it!! I'M DOING IT!!" Lmao Rob Corddry
TravisSMcClain's avatar

TravisSMcClain

Seemed to have trouble deciding when it wanted to be a frat comedy and when it wanted to be a male bonding movie. A lot of the humor revolving around Rob Corddry felt a little forced and didn't really do much for me. Sadly, another instance where the trailers really gave away the entire plot and best comedy bits. I felt like the rest of the movie didn't really offer any surprises.

Likable enough for what it is, though.
Timso23's avatar