Slylingual24's avatar

Slylingual24

I, Tonya is hands-down one of the year’s most entertaining movies. Craig Gillespie damn near hits it out of the park, with the biggest fault stemming from a temperamental start to its third act. It’s highly creative, funny, enlightening, well paced with the exception of the previously mentioned speed-bump, and complimented nicely by powerhouse performances by Margot Robbie and Allison Janney.

Expect noms for best actress, supporting actress, director, editing , and maybe even best picture.

In conclusion: go see I, Tonya immediately.

While all biopics can't take that road, I really liked I, Tonya pulling a Big Short with its material, recreating interviews, having the characters turn to camera, and fully admitting this pack of self-serving liars made contradicting statements. It's something that works well when the actual events are outrageous and ridiculous. And Tonya Harding's story is that. While the film makes her sympathetic to a point - one can appreciate the unfairness of her situation - it doesn't so much redeem Harding as indict the audience for enjoying this crazy page of sports history when it happened. Regardless of athletic ability, she never catches a break and finds herself in abusive relationships even with strangers, but her reaction (and that of the stupid criminals in her entourage) deserves no flowers. The film makes a fair few points besides, about the skating world, organized sports, and the media. Engrossing, wryly funny, but sad too.
Armoreska's avatar

Armoreska

Scene comparisons with real life footage!
Man I thought the interview with the bodyguard was there just for comedic purposes.
frankqb's avatar

frankqb

While the central premise of the film spoiler is laid on rather thick, it is nonetheless fascinating. The script is fairly good, presenting itself similarly to Frost/Nixon with modern interviews as framing devices but with more fourth wall breaks. The story is fascinating and Robbie and Janney are great, and Robbie’s performance has been underhyped.

If I have one complaint, it’s that the pop/rock soundtrack feels like a cheap way to elicit emotion from the audience. Maybe there’s a message related to class there.
5 stars
peterskb45's avatar

peterskb45

I was 10 years old when "the incident" occured, so my memory of the events and characters is mostly from late night comedian routines. I, Tonya filled in a backstory that I wasn't aware of. I don't know how involved Harding actually was in the incident, but by the end of the movie I was sympathetic of her. If she's guilty of anything, it's gravitating towards especially stupid people. As for the movie itself, I liked the dramatized documentary-style (based on actual interviews?) and both Janney and Robbie disappear into their characters. I, Tonya would make a great double feature with OJ: Made in America.
PaulC138's avatar

PaulC138

Assured direction, though I believe that they portrayed Tonya as a bit more innocent than she really was.
Jontaquestion's avatar

Jontaquestion

Margot Robbie completely disappears into this role. So nicely edited as well.
Toljus's avatar

Toljus

Surprisingly fun, and yet more proof that Paul Walter Hauser can do no wrong. He steals every scene in this.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Great drama, VERY well acted by a top notch cast. Slick direction. Crazy, funny and sometimes grimm drama
gbpxl's avatar

gbpxl

This movie was hysterical. I am very picky when it comes to movies. You need to see it. Best film Ive seen in years. Bravo.
Ralf's avatar

Ralf

The poster exists on CineMaterial. The poster update function on iCheckMovies still doesn't work, hence the poster is missing.

As for the movie: definitely in my TOP 10 of the year.

image
krystalvon's avatar

krystalvon

i keep trying to add the poster with cinematerial, but it's not working...

pretty entertaining for someone who didn't even know about the tonya harding/nancy kerrigan scandal before this movie came out. margot robbie and allison janney's performances were absolutely outstanding.

spoiler
chunkylefunga's avatar

chunkylefunga

I didn't enjoy this movie. It couldn't decide what kind of movie it wanted to be; dead-on realism, raw violence, absurdist comedy, or satire.

I thought Robbie is completely miscasted, feels like a hollywood actor version of a real life person. It felt like she was acting rather than actually being in the role.
Not to mention she's far too old. Playing a teenager? Come off it. Who would believe she's suppose to be 15 at the start :D It also didn't help that she's half a foot taller and model slim rather than athletic built.

Janney would good, but the role wasn't much a stretch for her usual roles.

The CGI was pretty crappy and very distracting.

It's a shame the movie made it seem like she didn't know the incident was going to happen when she's already admitted she knew.
stlshayne's avatar

stlshayne

Why does this not have a poster yet?