MartCous's avatar

MartCous

A real mind-blowing experience featuring Hans Zimmer at his best with an awesome dream-like score. Great character development for the protagonist. Awesome effects. You might need a second watch as it is quite a fast-paced movie. I also recommend watching the animated prequel if you enjoyed it. It's definitely not for everyone, but it worked very well for me. My personal favorite.
DangerDinosaur's avatar

DangerDinosaur

For a giant blockbuster summer movie Inception is audacious as hell. The final extended dreams-within-dreams sequence is just stunningly put together.
Saraxx's avatar

Saraxx

It was a good movie but I think it's been overrated.
aKIDOn's avatar

aKIDOn

We will never know all the possible interpretations of this movie. Those who think its over rated need many repeat watches to know its depth. I saw this for almost 10th time and now i got some clues that the whole movie might be a dream. That's what I call a great movie. It probably didn't get the best picture cause the academy members didn't get it like all those people who think it was over rated.
Uruloki's avatar

Uruloki

I'm not comparing it to character-driven movies (character arcs, story arcs and what not are overrated anyway), but to other movies concerning dreams. Let's take Mulholland Drive then, where the obscurity and mindfuck of it all is the treat; solving the puzzle is key here. Inception, on the other hand, is an already solved puzzle, and throw in a tour guide to tell you what every piece looks like and how to correctly perceive the final picture and pinpoint every detail, will ya?

Anyway, creativity, and how to handle it, is mentioned as a key point here. Well, yes, but it's still about what's real and what's not, and the border between dream and reality, why else the obnoxiously gimmicky "open ending"? It depicts a world where total creativity rules, true, but in the end it's still about delusion; how that imaginary dreamworld can drive one to accept it as the truth.

But really, that doesn't matter too much to me. HEMA's view is what bothers me. Understanding what's going on is certainly not a big problem with Inception, is it? I could easily label it as one of the most over-explaining movies of the decade, and "seeing half the concepts and ideas" isn't really that much of a chore; yet, still, everyone starts creaming all over it like it's the most complex masterpiece ever, and if you don't like it, then surely you simply "didn't get it". Great.

Now, I can deal with MaxS' perception that it is a must-see for action fan: yes, it is an OK action movie (too much of that henchman-stuff though). But when everyone starts raving about it being a benchmark in cinema and the smartest movie in years... well, remember Avatar? Remember The Dark Knight? Rather remember Public Enemy: Don't believe the hype.

In my eyes, Inception is a mediocre summer-blockbuster with some nice ideas not nearly explored enough and some good eyecandy, but it won't stand the test of time.
elizabethyates's avatar

elizabethyates

It took me a while to get around watching Inception but I'm glad I did. One of the most well thought-out films in years with every little detail planned and paid attention to precisely.

Such a powerful cast was needed to carry a film like this and this cast did it justice. I was absolutely entranced by every performance and it's amazing to Leonardo DiCaprio has yet to win an Oscar. Marion Cotillard gave a lovely craze-fueled adaptation to her character and I was taken back by her as usual; a true talent.

At times the film was slightly confusing and hard to understand but it was much easier to pick up on than I had imagined it to be beforehand. The script allowed explanation without giving it all away in an unique fashion.

The sound effects were beautiful along with the background music - completely added to every scene.

Phenomenal in every sense, Inception will make you go insane and enjoy every second of it. Great film with a very well deserved hype in all areas.

9.2/10
mook's avatar

mook

Nolan's SciFi heist thriller. Hugely ambitious, original and inventive - although not as good on this second viewing. 8/10.

Follow me on Twitter @LastFilmSeen
akuma587's avatar

akuma587

I don't buy the whole no heart bit. One, its largely an action movie, so simply by the conventions of the genre you are asking a lot if you expect the kind of character development you get in a traditional drama movie. Look at all the action movies in the IMDB Top 50 for that category. Star Wars is a great example. Wooden acting and predictable character development.

Two, the character development IS pretty good. Now not every character is given a 10-minute backstory and a flashback underlining for you all their motivations as a character (do you really think it would have helped the film?). But the central characters, Cobb, Ariadne, and Mal, are very well-developed, have interesting stories, and have their stories told in a compelling way.

Some of you are holding this movie to unrealistic standards and ignoring its genre, which doesn't necessarily focus on fleshing out every single detail of every single character.

Inception was the much-talked-about mindf*ck in which people navigate others' dreams (a straight cross between Ocean's Eleven and The Matrix). Its play on reality is both visually inventive and entertainingly complex enough to bear multiple viewings. My inception moment: That night, I actually dreamed about Inception and woke up around five thinking I had figured out just where reality broke down, but then the rest of the morning REM sleep added lots of extra clues that proved my theory and which of course, weren't there. The kind of puzzle film that will keep people debating for a while. Nolan continues to impress with his action-filled think pieces.
Raj404's avatar

Raj404

For me its pretty dimensional movie lol... its kinda genuine that this movie is overrated coz i have watched it and feel its was great (found no glitch on acting or in the movie either) but seriously it won't come that much to you expectations.
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

I liked that movie a lot. In the beginning I really had to focus in order not to miss any important facts but I enjoyed it very much. I think the suspense is great and I just love movies that keep you guessing and allow different angles of interpretation. Some of the plot ideas really intrigued me and the emotional aspects of the story were really touching. And of course it was visually very exciting.
vivienblue_06's avatar

vivienblue_06

I just hate Mal, hate her so much in this film.... But the movie is great; the story, the characters etc. At first I thought this movie will be boring but I was wrong, the film was definitely the opposite of boring.
Filmsthemostbeautifulart's avatar

Filmsthemostbeautifulart

"FADE IN:
DAWN. CRASHING SURF.
The waves TOSS a BEARDED MAN onto wet sand. He lies there.
A CHILD’S SHOUT makes him LIFT his head to see: a LITTLE
BLONDE BOY crouching, back towards us, watching the tide eat
a SANDCASTLE. A LITTLE BLONDE GIRL joins the boy. The Bearded
Man tries to call them, but they RUN OFF, FACES UNSEEN. He
COLLAPSES."

Inception is about dreams... the beautiful symbolism like the crashing surf that Nolan describes in his screenplay and the children playing in the sand increases the depth the more frequently you watch this film. There are so many countless similar elements like these. Later on the film slowly takes us through a universe where it's possible to break into anyone's dreams and steal their secrets. If you haven't seen Inception, then there's no point telling the story in more depth. It's just that Inception is incredibly thrilling and forces you to think. Nolan convinced me at some points that "they are not gonna make it, this mission is over"... this is the part which keeps you on the edge! It has probably countless moments like these and in some of them were so smartly handled that my heart skipped a beat. The thrills are genuine and the allegory of Inception has created a really rich world filled with fresh insights. If this dream thing happens in real life, I am sure this is how it will happen. I can't compare this with Nolan's other masterpieces, they are all on the same level for me. But do watch this film not just for it's smart screenplay but also the visuals, the amazing detailing that won Inception four Academy Awards including Best Visual Effects and Cinematography.

A film rich in every aspects and one will always find something new to discover...

4.9/5
Scratch47's avatar

Scratch47

1 GREAT idea, played out in a really boring way. There was never any doubt to the outcome for me and so all the plot machinations and multi-level threads were for nothing.
Paulorsadv's avatar