afan's avatar

afan

Insane production! Excellent score, though not sure if it's original. Overall one of the more "watchable" among silents, especially given it's content. I'm glad I watched this!
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

What an EPIC!! How could D.W. Griffith do this in 1916?
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

The ultimate epic. It doesn't get any bigger than this, not even in the 50's.
The Jesus and Bartholomew stories are not that great, but the Babylon and Modern stories make up for it.
An outstanding film. Light years ahead of other films from 1916 (as is the case with any film by the Father of Film, D.W. Griffith).
Alias's avatar

Alias

Undoubtedly great, but don't just delve into this. By modern standards it's very slow and overtly dramatic, but if you pay attention to the sets, the editing and the cinematography there is a lot to appreciate.
spacew0man's avatar

spacew0man

Absolutely phenomenal film. Without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite movie of all time. I watched this movie for the first time a week ago, and I have not stopped thinking about it since. I could almost forgive Griffith for The Birth of a Nation after this. Just utterly brilliant direction, plot, and acting. Mae Marsh is a big favorite of mine, and I just loved her in this. I honestly can't get over the scale and the scope of this film. Truly a feat of cinema for its time.
demagogo's avatar

demagogo

It doesn't matter how much I could despise Griffith, but if this were an exclusively Babylon-related film, this would have been certainly the greatest.
mathiasa's avatar

mathiasa

George Bailey's avatar

George Bailey

Masterpiece. Stunning visuals and epic battle scenes!
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

You're right. The comedies and the flappers of the late twenties are easier to 'delve into'. You should really start with those before watching serious stuff like this. But this applies to many films; you can't just watch La dolce vita if you are used to fast paced Hollywood flicks either.
3eyes's avatar

3eyes

this appears to be a duplicate. The real movie is on 16 lists.
daisyaday's avatar

daisyaday

sorry; use this one: http://www.archive.org/details/Intolerance
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

Well, at least all his films up until Orphans of the Storm. After that, his film got worse, but I liked his "The Battle of the Sexes".
Groovy09's avatar

Groovy09

The Wachowskis must have taken some inspiration from this when they made Cloud Atlas
daisyaday's avatar

daisyaday

MarkE89's avatar

MarkE89

I've had more interesting blackouts.. Smaller sets though..