pallmallandcoke's avatar

pallmallandcoke

knocked me on my ass, powerful movie with beautiful cinematography
dombrewer's avatar

dombrewer

I enjoyed it fitfully particularly the end sequence, but the flat, narrated exposition style really drained the life out of it, and please... someone really had a hard on for slow motion. Cut some of that out and it would have been about 20 minutes shorter.
arrbrr's avatar

arrbrr

What a sick movie.. Although I should say it was very well shot.
Joculator's avatar

Joculator

I found the constant background music irritatingly obtrusive, especially in the first half hour. Still managed to sit out the movie, but was left very underwhelmed.
DerekFME's avatar

DerekFME

Suffers a little from believability at times but is very well made. Not exactly a fun watch though.
FunkyVerb's avatar

FunkyVerb

Fantastic plot and pacing. I highly recommend this movie.
Zuma's avatar

Zuma

Movie is 94% slo-mo, 6% sped up. 100% garbage.
Shingwauk's avatar

Shingwauk

Note to self: Don't piss off Mrs. Moriguchi!
Sludge's avatar

Sludge

My favorite part of the movie was the "irritatingly obtrusive" music. Boris is god tier music.
TheMajor's avatar

TheMajor

Stylistically nice, but also a quite annoying. The plot is okay.
Ninjagodzilla's avatar

Ninjagodzilla

Great flick, despite some occasional overacting and repetitive soundtrack, best Japanese movie in a long time.
radibioinfo's avatar

radibioinfo

A must watch, story unfolds in an amazing perspective!
Public Enemy's avatar

Public Enemy

Started out pretty good but started dragging a few times in the middle, enough to make me wish it was a little shorter so I could get to whatever twist they had at the end.

It'd be refreshing to watch a movie like this where you don't know from the beginning that there's going to be some twist that you're just waiting to get to.
starnamedstork's avatar

starnamedstork

Loved it. And I want those cloud shots compiled in a screensaver.

Also, am I the only one who liked the music?

@greenhorg: Who was in turn inspired by and dedicated the movie to Andrei Tarkovsky.
Unit 731's avatar

Unit 731

What a shame. First 30 minutes were excellent but after that... Damn. The second half was really underwhelming, the movie lost a lot of its focus and it also became hard to take seriously. The movie desperately tries to be socially aware, but it just comes across as clumsy and cringeworthy.
The initial storyline was kinda alright though, but as a whole suffered from a really juvenile feel. If someone had told me it was written by an angsty teenager, I would've probably believed it.

Positives? It was great visually. Too bad someone on the crew had a serious hard on for slo-mo's. That shit was really annoying. And they combined it with repeating music tracks for maximum irritation!
If they had gotten rid of the slo-mo's, the movie would have probably been at least ten minutes shorter. It would have made the wait for the inevitable twist ending a much hastier affair.