Eddyspeeder's avatar

Eddyspeeder

Let me say right off the bat: what I love most is how this movie has that 80's style of movements; almost smooth and yet somewhat interrupted, as though genuinely hand-drawn.

After the international hit movie Arrietty, it's a rather daring move for Studio Ghibli to release a movie so similar in drawing style, yet so much slower in pace. Tempo-wise, it really reminded me of "Tales from Earthsea", but that's where the parallels end. The movie kept me intrigued, even though the story not at all depends on a strong protagonist that faces a serious issue involving an evil antagonist. It just takes you on a sweet and slow adventure, laying out the puzzle piece by piece, like in "Whisper of the Heart", but without a talking cat figurine or anything magic, yet treating you to a few musical songs.

Ghibli movies by this director appear to have one flaw: they don't subtly reference to other Ghibli movies, like an incidental raccoon, cat or airship (correct me if I've just failed to notice it). And I thought not all of the soundtrack combined well with the scenes and was sometimes a bit distracting.

Studio Ghibli movies are art. The beauty of the animation has me in awe. I guess I could compare it to watching a painting for 1,5 hours, and fantasizing an entire story around it myself. From Up on Poppy Hill definitely satisfies in that area. They did great things with steam, fog, sun rays and chopping cabbage. It currently ranks #6 on my list of Ghibli movies.

Update: I have the Japanese Blu-ray, which is just stuffed with awesome bonus material. The most awesome part is the 50+ minute live performance of the soundtrack (Aoi Teshima on vocals and a piano) in a concert room with surround video. (BTW I do appreciate the music, I just don't think it sometimes matches that well with the scenes.)
sammysin's avatar

sammysin

Such a great little film. I wasn't expecting that kind of content from a Ghibli feature, but it was very memorable. I thought the characters were charming and really cute.

I would say it has one of the best soundtracks of any Ghibli film.
idjutt's avatar

idjutt

Goro doesn't have his father's ingenius craftyness. This is ok, but not much more. Just a happy family tale
Filmsthemostbeautifulart's avatar

Filmsthemostbeautifulart

A group of Yokohama teens look to save their school's clubhouse from the wrecking ball in preparations for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

After having seen Goro Miyazaki's Tales from Earthsea, I didn't have quite high expectations from this. Goro proved me wrong this time by creating a calm, sweet and tender anime. Hayao Miyazaki is the screenwriter and I was quite surprised that he moved away from his supernatural themes containing gods and flying castles, choosing to write something realistic. Yes, this "realistic" part is the heart of the entire film and it works so lovingly.

Ghibli once again captures the audience with beautiful animation and a captivating score. The film successfully re-creates the 60's world with meticulous details. Each and every character is energetic, whether he/she is the action or just the part of the action. As the film is about saving the school's clubhouse, we can "feel" that these teens really are trying to save it and you forget it's an animated film. Most of these characters are quite inspirational... The film is not epic or dazzling like teen oriented movies actually are. It's a simple nostalgic experience.

In conclusion, another simple and heart-felt film from Ghibli that you can enjoy with your friends and family. A good film for a relaxing weekend ;)

My Rating: 4.2/5
Windill's avatar

Windill

Another masterpiece from Studio Ghibli.
Less imaginary maybe, more realistic.
But always magic.
8 months 3 weeks ago
michaelcaines's avatar

michaelcaines

wonderfully light film from Ghibli. Beautifully subtle animation style that reminded me a bit of The Cat Returns mixed with the innocence of Ponyo and the gorgeous painted backgrounds of Spirited Away. Great score aswell. Overall delightful 7/10
CSSCHNEIDER's avatar

CSSCHNEIDER

Great soundtrack, an early favorite for Best Music Supervision. Wonderful warm story about love and friendship. I can't praise it enough.
KANJ's avatar

KANJ

I agree with sammysin. Really perfect soundtrack and different story.
Fritz's avatar

Fritz

I didn't like Goro Miyazaki's previous Ghibli film, Tales from Earthsea, so I was a little wary of this, but it's wonderful.