hilariousity's avatar

hilariousity

One of my very favorite movies. It's very cheesy and 80's but it's still fantastic.
Groovy09's avatar

Groovy09

The special-effects and the production design are amazing! But unfortunately the film suffers from a bit of a weak story and David Bowie's singing scenes, which got way too silly and out of place.

Imo, it's one of those cult-movies where it's cult-status is a little overblown. I guess I probably would have liked it more if I saw it as kid, but as a first time viewer it was just ok.
flaiky's avatar

flaiky

Uhh...On rewatch, I kind of hate this film. Forgive me Bowie.

Well, the 80sness of it can't be denied. Jim Henson's fantasy rock opera (pop opera?) isn't quite as good as I remembered. It's the 80s action synth score that does it, I think. It might be more at home if there were more David Bowie songs, or if Bowie had actually done ALL of the music, but it just seems to suck all the lyricism out of the film. Its Alice in Wonderland with puppets and a rock god is otherwise well made (give or take one badly rotoscoped dance number), with the Escher stairs sequence still the stand-out, though I loved rediscovering other moments, like the shaft of hands and the worm who knows the way to the castle but fails to tell. It's all a bit screechy at times, the acting is just okay (the puppets often outshining the humans), and Bowie's package is in your face way too much, but as a fantasy about a girl coming of age, accepting responsibility, but also the place imagination should still have in her life, makes it a universal tale. Terry Jones' script is a touch on the sketchy side, meaning you could remove several set pieces without really affecting the whole, but it still gives meaning to the proceedings.
Cadeicus's avatar

Cadeicus

The bulge. It will haunt my dreams forever.
Woliver's avatar

Woliver

I don't think this work it's great for not using CGI, puppets or CGI This work reflects such great a creativity.
And hey! Of course there are CGI's in this movie! the owl! And you can see how they had fun with it during the titles! WOOOOOSH! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!
sinefilizaslinda's avatar