Bill.MI.1's avatar

Bill.MI.1

So boring. Life is too short to ever watch this movie again.
Gilles Debil's avatar

Gilles Debil

Tintin in Arabia.
george4mon's avatar

george4mon

wayyyyyyyyy too long!!, i would have enjoyed it if it was an 130mins shorter!
Mette's avatar

Mette

I'd have never ever expected to like this so much!
There are absolutely no women in it, yet I find it so much better than for example Seven Samurai.
Epic.
danisanna's avatar

danisanna

Interesting piece of art.
Tiago Costa's avatar

Tiago Costa

4,5 /5
tsamlidis's avatar

tsamlidis

A true spectacle, masterpiece
MoutardedShroom's avatar

MoutardedShroom

It's repeated to boredom through these comments, but it's so true...

The word "Epicness" just evolved.
BigAwesomeBLT's avatar

BigAwesomeBLT

Truly Epic. I didn't feel 4 hours long, although I did watch it over a few sittings in the same day. Next time I'll watch it all in one go. Great plot, amazing use of extras and real locations for scale. Also glad I went in not really knowing anything about the plot.
NoShower's avatar

NoShower

Good movie, if you want great cinematography and zero suspense. Nothing about this movie kept me hooked. But it wasn't terrible, for what it was.
idjutt's avatar

idjutt

Peter O'Toole was amazing in this one. And four hours is not long when the movie is this good. Come on!
WinterInJapan's avatar

WinterInJapan

They could have cut out a good chunk of the middle, but the first and last hours of the film are phenomenal cinema.
Hemanshu's avatar

Hemanshu

This movie begs repeat viewing...top notch cinema. Just imagine the scope of the movie looking at the time & place when it is made.

Not all film epics are grand and sweeping, but Lawrence of Arabia definitely deserves both epithets. Cinematographer Freddie Young is painting with light on this one, and the marvelous cinematography (which manages to make yet another trek through a desert as riveting as the first time Lawrence set off) is beautiful supported by Maurice Jarre's score. The Middle East at the end of the Ottoman Empire is well realized, visually and culturally, taking you on a voyage that might make you fall in love the same way the title character does. It's incredible that such a performance "introduces" a talent like Peter O'Toole to movie audiences, but there it is. At times, I felt the character's motivations were a little nebulous, but ultimately, the ambiguity is probably what makes the film as powerful as it is. It's a veritable cinematic novel (not unlike David Lean's other epic Dr. Zhivago) where characters and nations change, grow, and risk everything. In Lawrence, we have someone who is brilliant, but cavalier, and starts to believe his own hype, which leads to a fall from grace. And that doesn't play out the way it sounds either. I don't think I'd ever seen it in its entirety, though I know I watched large chunks of it on at least three occasions. This time, I didn't even speed or walk out through the overtures, intermissions or exit music. The music really IS one of its best features, after all.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

A few months after seeing it I was fortunate enough to see it on a special big screen event with a real intermission and everything. This film defines the "epic" genre in an absolutely perfect way. The opening of the movie is quite fantastic with the various characters claiming to really no nothing of the main character. Several hours later it becomes a wonderous realization that even the viewer can struggle with. Who truly is Lawrence at his heart? A fantastic film.