Ondskap's avatar

Ondskap

Usually hate this kind of movies, but this one was very very good. Feel-good christmas movie that was enjoyable all the way trough. The funny parts were actually funny too.

I didn't excpect this at all. Highly recomended.
sushantv10's avatar

sushantv10

good romantic flick....with many likable moments and characters...

I certainly commend its ambition. It's one of those films with multiple intertwining stories, like Crash, Magnolia or Babel, but the subject here is love. Some have it, some want it, some are getting it, some losing it. Family, friendship, romance, empty adulation. All sorts. Curtis has assembled an improbably stellar cast (some would only become prominent stars later, I suppose) and is telling, what, 8 stories? Most of which could have been their own film. So yes, the film has scope. More poignant than funny, I did laugh in several places, but I also wanted more of the stories I found most engaging. There were so many, sometimes one was left idling for so long you wondered where it went. If I must name my favorites, I'll go with Hugh Grant as the Prime Minister of Britain in love with an assistant - it's the UK's own The American President. I'd also mention Liam Neeson as a father helping his young son catch the love of his life's eye. And you know, I could watch Bill Nighy or Emma Thompson do things all day long. The movie has me regretting every thread I'm NOT mentioning, so I suppose that's an endorsement. There are worse things than being left hungry for more.
Duke of Omnium's avatar

Duke of Omnium

It's a good movie and a fine movie, and does not actually try to be more profound than it is (save, perhaps, for the opening and closing montages).
ansver's avatar

ansver

Makes me feel good while watching.
Deus's avatar

Deus

My favorite Christmas movie
zkrat's avatar

zkrat

I had a good time with it :)
jhhayes's avatar

jhhayes

Has some genuinely funny moments.
rodoss's avatar

rodoss

For me it's the best film ever made on this planet.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Annual christmas viewing. Nice! Wife loves it and is good fun!
IreneAdler's avatar

IreneAdler

It's a nice movie. I did enjoy many scenes and found them funny, although I liked some stories more than others... Keira Knightley's and Colin Firth's stories were really sweet. Alan Rickman is always great, but his secretary was so annoying I did not really buy his interest in her. The singer was mostly just tedious.

All in all, not as bad as some people say, but neither as good as it's described sometimes.
gerardogm's avatar

gerardogm

And don't forget Rowan Atkinson... Lovely.
jacktrewin's avatar

jacktrewin

gets worse and worse with repeated viewings. on the surface its perfectly enjoyable but thats before i saw how pretentious, fake and unfunny it was
tehnakki's avatar

tehnakki

Really the best Christmas movie ever =)
Windill's avatar

Windill

Pure crap in my opinion. All is so fake and dumb... I don't even understand how people can like it.