Alias's avatar

Alias

It starts with this wicked car chase, then follows with an hour of silly diaogue and ends with some decents stunts. Mwah.
chunkylefunga's avatar

chunkylefunga

Genuinely found this to be boring and dragged on like hell.
tapiridae's avatar

tapiridae

It's a bit silly. The action sequences are pretty decent, the "plot" is not.
metermouse's avatar

metermouse

Was it just me or did the score seem absolutely ridiculous at times? It was over the top, and really loud, so loud that sometimes I couldn't even hear conversations properly.

Cool film though.
DisneyStitch's avatar

DisneyStitch

Not my personal cup of tea. I will say that the atmosphere of the movie is well done and has a sort of grittiness that you'll surely remember for a while. I feel like it would have benefited a lot from a larger budget. It drags on a bit in a lot of places but the stunt work is decent, one viewing is enough for me.
Sviggolo's avatar

Sviggolo

I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I wanted. It's to little intended humor in it to work as, for example Death Race 2000, or something like that. There are a few well done stunts, but that isn't enough to save this movie. I don't know why it is so famous, or why this movie propelled Mel Gibson's career forward.
MrArarat's avatar

MrArarat

Watched it last night...
Nice landscapes, but a bit weird in terms of continuity.
Earring72's avatar

Earring72

Had not seen the movie in 25 years and was a bit dissapointed. It is very low budget, their is no story and after the initial opening chase, nothing really exciting happens......

The Road Warrior is lightyears better. Still the Original set it all in motion and is an ok watch.
aussieflickfan's avatar

aussieflickfan

This film says something about Australia and its landscape whilst being one of a kind, despite the sequels. The setting adds to the loneliness, desperation and displacement the characters feel. This viewer believes it - I am immersed in the world of this film.
GabiHG's avatar

GabiHG

I was so excited to watch this movie, 'cause I heard a lot of good comments about it, but I think that most of them was from people who watched a long time ago. I got so disappointed! It almost doesn't have a plot and the acting, oh my God!, I'm not even going to talk about it. Not that I hated, but I expected more.
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

I've got to agree with everyone else: the story blows. For the first hour, we get as much character development as we could've in half that time. It drags, and there's barely any action until the final act. And it's a great final act, but every act of a story relies on the others, and there's really just two, and the first one is a whole lot of nothing. But, hey, the action is directed really well, and it does get me excited for Road Warrior (tomorrow).
Zeltaebar's avatar

Zeltaebar

Some of the stuntwork and camerawork are impressive and Mel Gibson shows early signs of greatness, but the average script and small budget hurts the movie. The movie is confusing or at least overly complicated at times like in the opening car chase where we jump back and forth between cars and villains while a weak-voiced car radio is humming the goings on in the background. The movie comes very close to becoming a great thriller at times, but ends up too often just feeling stressed. The impact of the ending is let down by countless imitators in modern times.
george4mon's avatar

george4mon

i agree with Sviggolo: bad acting, bad dialogue, bad film

Because my familiarity with George Miller's post-apocalyptic universe resides in the two last films, the original Mad Max looks quite strange and not really of a piece with the rest. No strange deserts, and indeed, society has not yet completely fallen. Max lives in a nice house with all the amenities and is essentially a highway patrolman. In terms of dystopia, it's closer to a western than it is the films that would come later. But the attitude is definitely the same, and in my head canon, Hugh Keays-Byrne's Toecutter somehow survives the film and evolves into Fury Road's Immortal Joe (same actor, after all), since his biker cult seems to have bloomed into what we see in the last movie from the seed planted here. Plot's pretty ordinary, but Miller does a lot of inexpensive world-building and it's just an excuse for visceral car stunts anyway. He keeps the frame alive with loads of kinetics pretty much at all times. This is exciting action film making, probably inspired by The Cars That Ate Paris, but taking it to iconic levels.
1 week ago
Andrewski's avatar

Andrewski

An extremely sparse plot with little action, and even less characterization. Hard to imagine this launching a series of sequels.
6 months 3 weeks ago