nicolaskrizan's avatar

nicolaskrizan

Leather-clad Lou Reed look-alike

ClassicLady's avatar

ClassicLady

I came, I saw it, I hated it. Nothing but grunts, blood, killing and car chases. That may be others' idea of a fabulous movie but not mine. I hate violence in movies. This one had almost everything I hate about a movie rolled into one. My opinion only...your mileage may vary.
Rohit's avatar

Rohit

What Alias said
Virgil's avatar

Virgil

Most people don't really understand Mad Max because they didn't grow up with the films. Of course it's going to look bad in today's standards, but it's still a classic to me.
Dieguito's avatar

Dieguito

Rebel and Revolutionary
Scratch47's avatar

Scratch47

Lo-fi and a bit crappy. Toecutter was awesome though.
adr1s's avatar

adr1s

Man, this movie is ooooooold af
Goldragon979's avatar

Goldragon979

I saw all the movies in 2 days. There's something special about the first one. The ambient, the characters you really care about, the shock, the lack of special effects. I just love it by itself.

Because my familiarity with George Miller's post-apocalyptic universe resides in the two last films, the original Mad Max looks quite strange and not really of a piece with the rest. No strange deserts, and indeed, society has not yet completely fallen. Max lives in a nice house with all the amenities and is essentially a highway patrolman. In terms of dystopia, it's closer to a western than it is the films that would come later. But the attitude is definitely the same, and in my head canon, Hugh Keays-Byrne's Toecutter somehow survives the film and evolves into Fury Road's Immortal Joe (same actor, after all), since his biker cult seems to have bloomed into what we see in the last movie from the seed planted here. Plot's pretty ordinary, but Miller does a lot of inexpensive world-building and it's just an excuse for visceral car stunts anyway. He keeps the frame alive with loads of kinetics pretty much at all times. This is exciting action film making, probably inspired by The Cars That Ate Paris, but taking it to iconic levels.
8 months 1 week ago
Andrewski's avatar

Andrewski

An extremely sparse plot with little action, and even less characterization. Hard to imagine this launching a series of sequels.
lopan017's avatar

lopan017

The Toecutter is one freaky guy.
GrooveRemote's avatar

GrooveRemote

I've got to agree with everyone else: the story blows. For the first hour, we get as much character development as we could've in half that time. It drags, and there's barely any action until the final act. And it's a great final act, but every act of a story relies on the others, and there's really just two, and the first one is a whole lot of nothing. But, hey, the action is directed really well, and it does get me excited for Road Warrior (tomorrow).
Zeltaebar's avatar

Zeltaebar

Some of the stuntwork and camerawork are impressive and Mel Gibson shows early signs of greatness, but the average script and small budget hurts the movie. The movie is confusing or at least overly complicated at times like in the opening car chase where we jump back and forth between cars and villains while a weak-voiced car radio is humming the goings on in the background. The movie comes very close to becoming a great thriller at times, but ends up too often just feeling stressed. The impact of the ending is let down by countless imitators in modern times.
george4mon's avatar

george4mon

i agree with Sviggolo: bad acting, bad dialogue, bad film
GabiHG's avatar

GabiHG

I was so excited to watch this movie, 'cause I heard a lot of good comments about it, but I think that most of them was from people who watched a long time ago. I got so disappointed! It almost doesn't have a plot and the acting, oh my God!, I'm not even going to talk about it. Not that I hated, but I expected more.